Thursday, May 5, 2016

#atozchallenge 2016 Reflections

This was the year I thought I had it all together. All my posts for the Challenge were written and lined up in the queue to be released at 6 AM Eastern Time each morning, and I figured great, the A to Z Challenge will take care of itself, I’ll be able to visit the blogs of other people and be a good co-host and leave all kinds of comments and maybe even keep up with the regular features on the blog.

Well, I guess things wouldn’t work out that way. See, April 1 was a Friday, and I have a regular feature called the Friday Five. And, like a fool, I decided that my post for that day would be “five songs that start with the letter A.” And, naturally, people visiting the blog after noon on Friday, when the F5 post was posted, assumed that my theme for April would be music. I do a lot of music here, so it was a reasonable assumption.

I could have done one of two things: I could either comment back to everyone that the song post was just a regular Friday Five, or I could go with the flow and have two themes, one being the portmanteaus and the other being music. I went with the latter option and did two themes. This cut the amount of time to do all that other stuff considerably, and I didn’t get to visit as many new blogs as I wanted. In fact, I didn’t get a chance to visit all the people I normally visit anyway, many of whom (and the number was close to a hundred) were also doing the Challenge, probably because I made such a big deal about it. Of those, I commented on a few each day, and Tweeted out a number of the others to at least give them some well-deserved attention.

My plan for the rest of the year is to go through the list of participants from this year at a more leisurely pace and try to get to as many of you as I possibly can. This was a practice that the A to Z team used to call “The A To Z Challenge Road Trip,” although I don’t know that any of the other co-hosts are going to do it this year. Which is fine. I’ll be on the road, so to speak, and if any of you others are going to do the same, let me know, and maybe we can meet at Denny’s for a Grand Slam Breakfast or something. Or maybe the IHOP for a Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity….

hhbadge

I want to give a special thanks to the members of Holton’s Heroes, my “minions” as it were, who assisted me in keeping my portions of the list as clean as possible:

At the risk of sounding not politically correct, thank you, ladies. It was an honor and a privilege to work with you and I hope we can do it again next year.

I was truly impressed by the talent of the people who participated in this year’s Challenge. Whether you were writing fiction, non-fiction, poetry, posting songs or photos, or whatever you were doing, y’all did an excellent job, and it was a pleasure to visit your blogs and see what you had. I look forward to visiting all of you eventually.

Thanks to all who visited and left a comment or a “like.” I fell way behind in replying to comments, but I will reply.

Thanks especially to Arlee Bird, who came up with this cool idea many years ago. This is the Challenge that got me into blogging. Thanks to all my fellow co-hosts: Alex (the Listmeister), Heather, Pam, AJ, Jeremy (who did all the graphics and set up the shop where you can buy all kinds of neato A to Z Challenge merchandise), Stephen, Lauren, Csenge, Joy and Damyanti.

How many of you have your theme for next year? I know I do…




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I tried taking the Roadtrip last year and it was really difficult. And many of the bloggers didn't really seem to care that I was visiting! I wonder why so many of the co-hosts are not doing the road trip?? I enjoyed your reflections. I can't imagine doing two challenges!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll be doing two themes next year. As for the Roadtrip... probably life gets in the way. I'm retired (disability) so I have lots of time to kill...

      Delete