Saturday, May 21, 2016

A few “Break” Songs” #socs

If you’ve followed this blog for a while, you know how my brain works: prompt words make me think of song titles. Those become my stream-of-consciousness. This is one such example. Today’s word, or words, is “break” or “brake.” Here are a few songs with “break” in the title…

Break Up To Make Up – The Stylistics Seventies Soul… it doesn’t get much better. This reached #5 on both the Hot 100 and the R&B chart in 1972.

Breakout – Swing Out Sister From their first album, 1987’s It’s Better To Travel, this was their first single; it reached #4 in the UK and #6 in the US.

Breakin’ Up Is Hard To Do – Neil Sedaka I ran a Battle of the Bands where I put this up against his more soulful Seventies version, and this prevailed.

19th Nervous Breakdown – The Rolling Stones This was their first single in 1966, and reached #2 in the US. It was the Stones’ fifth UK #1.

Jailbreak – Thin Lizzy The title track from their 1976 album, which also included “The Boys Are Back In Town.”

Heartbreak Hotel – Elvis Presley The list originally stopped at the five songs above, then I remembered this one and knew that I’d be inundated with “How could you forget ‘Heartbreak Hotel’???” Elvis’s first big hit, it reached #1 on the Pop, R&B, and Country charts in 1956. It’s considered one of the greatest rock & Roll songs of all time.

Foggy Mountain Breakdown – Earl Scruggs and Friends Here’s the list of the players: Earl Scruggs, banjo – Glen Duncan, fiddle – Randy Scruggs, acoustic guitar – Steve Martin, 2nd banjo solo (did you have any idea he could play like that?) – Vince Gill, 1st electric guitar solo – Marty Stuart, mandolin – Gary Scruggs, harmonica – Albert Lee, 2nd electric guitar solo – Paul Shaffer, piano – Jerry Douglas, dobro – Leon Russell, organ – Glenn Worf, bass – Harry Stinson, drums. Wow!

And a bonus, because it technically doesn’t fit the theme, but it’s a form of “break” and I like the song, okay?

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart? – The Bee Gees Their first #1 in the US, from 1971.

socs-badge-2015

 

Stream of Consciousness Saturday is hosted by the lovely and tolerant Linda Hill, who doesn’t mind too much if I run roughshod over the rules for the event. Visit her blog where you can see the rules I’m ignoring and pingbacks from all of the other contestants.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I am not very good at song titles and don't have the catalogue you have in your head:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can remember all these songs from 40-50 years ago, but I can't remember why I walked into a room. I think the short-term memory goes because the long-term memory takes it over.

      Delete