Wednesday, May 18, 2016

#1LinerWeds from a Wall Street Journal reader

Imagine if you could just get off Facebook entirely and think for yourself.

I have a love-hate relationship with Facebook. During election season, I hate it. The Wall Street Journal, some of whose articles the wi-fi at Starbucks has on their landing page, had this article by Geoffrey Fowler in which he suggests the following:

Facebook’s home page News Feed is run by a personalization algorithm that feeds you information it thinks you want to see. It’s a machine tuned to promote sunset selfies and live cat videos, not foster political discourse. Why not add an opposing-viewpoints button that gives me the power to see a headline from another side?

Facebook is a great place for kitten videos and funny memes, and for keeping up the members of your family, but especially at times like this (i.e. election season) it gets a little tense. During times like this, I don’t think we need an “opposing views” button. I think we need to spend less time on Facebook and more time doing something more constructive. Like writing a blog…

17474d3a52fd7efdada7b5896b5c5906

I do my best not to introduce politics on this blog. As I said way back in the beginning of this blog, I hate politics. But this picture of the lovely Tarder Sauce, a/k/a Grumpy Cat, which first appeared before the Super Bowl, might best express how I feel…

As always, we welcome replies to our editorials.

1linerwedsbadgewes

It’s One-Liner Wednesday, brought to you by the lovely and talented Linda Hill. She has the rules and links to all paricipants at her blog.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I have never gotten into Facebook. I know I have missed out on some cute pictures of friends kids, but I am not willing to put up with everything for those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was a different way of staying in touch with my family, I would ditch it completely.

      Delete