Sunday, April 3, 2016

Take Me Out To The Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Hamm’s Beer. From the land of sky-blue waters…

As you could probably guess from the commercial, Hamm’s did a lot of advertising during baseball games, including White Sox and Cubs games on WGN. The sponsorship continued for Cubs games when the White Sox moved to WFLD in 1968 and were then sponsored by Meister Brau. I say all this because BASEBALL SEASON STARTS TODAY!

twtw

I’ve done some housekeeping here; Cathy from Curious as a Cathy suggested I add a list of all my recent posts to the sidebar. If you look over on the right,

rightarrow

you’ll find it right below the A to Z Challenge badge (depending on your display, you might need to scroll). Next month, I’ll move the badge down so you can see the list as you come here. My last twenty posts are listed there. Great idea, Cathy! Thanks!

It was a year ago that I started these weekly summaries of all the stuff that went on around here. Just wanted to commemorate that.

Due to something I did that I shouldn’t have, I now have two (2) themes for the A to Z Challenge this year. I’m still doing portmanteaus (they’ll post at around six Eastern time every morning, except Sundays), and now I’ll be doing five songs every day, around noon Eastern. Nice thing about it is I can do the song thing next year, too, although I already have my theme for next year and have started building the word list (don’t you just hate people like me?).

I’ll warn you ahead of time, I’ll be posting a lot this month, what with two themes for A to Z and all my regular features, which I’m determined to keep up as well. As much as possible, I’ll be combining the regular feature with the music theme. Still, I realize there’ll be a lot of traffic coming from this blog, and I won’t be offended if you just decide to follow the portmanteaus or the music. But please, don’t stop following me altogether.

As usually happens on the first day of A to Z, I received a lot of page views (300) on Friday. That was the most this blog has received in the four-plus years I’ve been around the blogosphere. A number of you started following me via email or WordPress’s “follow” facility, and who knows how many began following the RSS feed through Feedly or other feed readers. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I’ll be hard at work adding all of you to Feedly so I can follow you throughout the year. Hope you enjoy what happens here.

My first two portmanteau choices, “advertainment” and “beefalo,” sparked some lively discussion here. I didn’t expect there to be such a diverse range of opinions. I’ll be around replying to the comments today. Thank you for leaving them!

You have until Thursday at midnight Eastern to vote in my latest Battle of the Bands, which is The Johnny Smith Quintet (featuring Stan Getz) against Jo Stafford in Battle “Moonlight In Vermont.”

I’ll keep it short today, so that’s all from this end. See you next week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment