Thursday, April 21, 2016

Five Red Songs #atozchallenge

R

The word “red” popped into my head when I woke up this morning, and I took it as a sign. Here, then, are five songs with “red” in the title.

Red Sails In The Sunset – Patti Page: Patti was the top-selling and top-charting female vocalist of the 1950’s. This is a tune that has been covered so much, and was so popular at one time, that even The Beatles did a version (sadly, I can’t find a version; it was never released on an album).

Red River Rock – Johnny and the Hurricanes: I love instrumental rock, and this uptempo cover of “Red River Valley” is a prime example of why. This reached #5 in the US and #3 in the UK in 1959.

Red Rubber Ball – The Cyrkle: In my neighborhood, almost every kid had a copy of this, and to this day it’s one of my favorite songs. Just real simple lyrics and music, but a nice song. It went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100, #3 on the Cash Box survey, and #1 on the RPM survey in Canada in 1966.

The Lady In Red – Chris DeBurgh: This was DeBurgh’s first big hit; it went to #1 in the UK and Canada and #2 in the US in 1986. Rolling Stone readers named it the third-worst song of the 1980’s, and the tenth-most annoying song of all time by readers of Dotmusic — one of only two records in their top ten that wasn’t a novelty song.

Red Red Wine – Neil Diamond: I originally had the reggae version of this song by UB40 here, but I had never heard Neil’s version, and after all, he wrote it. I like his better.

These are just five of the estimated six hundred fifty-nine billion songs with “red” in the title, and I’m sure you have a favorite that I didn’t list here. What’s your favorite? Let me know in the comments.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment