Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Five by Elvis #atozchallenge

E

It’s E day, and what better way to celebrate than with five by the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll, Elvis Presley?

I tried to pick five songs from different points in his career, and to pick songs that we don’t hear too often. This meant leaving off some of your favorites as well as mine, but I think you’ll like what you hear.

Steamroller Blues: From 1973, this is from his Aloha from Hawai’i TV special. It reached #17 on the Hot 100, #10 on the Cash Box survey, and #16 on the Record World survey. James Taylor wrote this for his Sweet Baby James album, intending it as a joke.

If I Can Dream: Written in 1968 by Walter Earl Brown after the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The song has a number of quotes from Dr. King. Elvis recorded this as a tribute to him. It got to #12 on the Hot 100 and #9 on both the Cash Box and Record World surveys.

Suspicious Minds: Released in 1969, it reached #1 on all three surveys, and was Elvis’s last #1.

I Want You, I Need You, I Love You: This was his second #1 hit, and gets overshadowed by its predecessor, “Heartbreak Hote,” and its successor, “Hound Dog.”

Crying In The Chapel: Recorded for his 1960 gospel album His Hand In Mine, but not released until Easter 1965. It hit #3 on the Hot 100 and topped the Easy Listening chart for seven weeks, his biggest hit in six years.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little noontime concert. What are some of your favorite Elvis Presley songs?




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, I didn't grow up in a house of Elvis fans so I came to him later in life. I don't know what my favourite song is.

    ReplyDelete