Thursday, April 14, 2016

#atozchallenge: Linner or Lupper

linner=
lunch + dinner
lupper=
lunch + supper

 

Just as brunch is a meal between breakfast and lunch that takes the place of both, linner or lupper comes between lunch and dinner (or supper) and takes the place of both.

Mary and I have done this for some time, wait until three or four in the afternoon and have a meal that counts for both. Some diet experts say this is a good way to lose weight. I’m not sure (certainly hasn’t worked for me), but it seems logical to me. Of course, we’re at the point in our lives when restaurants encourage people of a certain age to have dinner early, maybe thinking that’s when we want to eat, maybe thinking we go to bed after Jeopardy! (8:00 PM) and are thus in a mood to eat early. I think if we were to fall asleep after Jeopardy!, we’d be up again at 1 AM and be up watching infomercials. Grandma Holton and her sister Florence would nap on and off all day, then be up in the middle of the night. I remember I was staying with them once, and I woke up at about 2 AM and heard voices in the living room. I looked out of my room, and they were praying a novena.

What time do you eat?

L



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment