Sunday, March 13, 2016

The Eastern Daylight Time Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Pepsodent toothpaste. You’ll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!

twtw

 

I hope everyone in the US (and Canada if they changed their clocks yesterday) has started the adjustment from Standard time to Daylight Saving Time, unless of course you live in Arizona (except the reservations), Alaska, or Hawai’i. It’s a real pain, as I’ve stated many times. It’s getting to where DST is becoming standard for the US. I think we observe it longer than any other country (second Sunday of March to the first Sunday in November). At that rate, they should just leave it that way.

But no matter. I would like to draw your attention to my post on the A to Z Challenge blog, where I explain in a short video how to add the A to Z badge to your blog if you’re one of us WordPress folks. Based on the comments, it served its purpose, and was helpful. I’m glad. I used Apple’s QuickTime to record the screen show, and learned that the upload to YouTube goes very, very slow if you leave the video in the default MOV format. Next time I will be sure to convert it either to MP4 or the new HTML 5 standard, WebM.

A brief summary of The Week That Was:

  • Monday
    • I announced the winner of my latest Battle of the Bands, in which Jackie Gleason trounced The Red Norvo Trio with his lush, romantic version of “Tenderly.” We’ll have another Battle of the Bands this Tuesday.
    • I also piggybacked my reply for the Question of the month on the Battle of the Bands post and talked about meeting Jim Bouton at Durham Athletic Park many years ago.
    • I accepted the “Words and Music Award,” for which Mary B and Michele nominated me, on Monday’s Music Moves Me, and in turn nominated the MMMM hosts for the award, as well as Cheryl at Plucking of My Heartstrings. Tomorrow’s theme is “guitar solos,” a subject I know a little about…
  • Tuesday
    • Rush was the featured artist on Two for Tuesday. We’ll feature another Progressive Rock artist this Tuesday. I’d also like to take a moment to note the passing of Keith Emerson, who died Thursday in Santa Monica. My condolences to his family.
  • Wednesday
    • Saul Bellow provided the quote for One-Liner Wednesday. Linda and I figured that he made his statement no later than 2005, when Mr. Bellow died. It could have been made much earlier, say in the 1960’s, and it’s still relevant today.
    • I reminisced about my grandparents’ “back yard,” better known as Albion Park and Beach on the North Side of Chicago, for Wednesdays for My Wife. No idea what I’ll write about this week.
  • Thursday
    • Mama Kat’s prompt for Writer’s Workshop was “sleep,” and I talked about my strange sleep patterns and the vivid dreams I have. Last night I dreamt I regained the use of my right hand…
  • Friday
    • I created a very long playlist for The Friday Five, making it more like the Friday Twenty, in reesponse to a meme to answer questions using just the names of songs by a single band. The band I chose, naturally enough, was Chicago. Revisiting some of the music, particularly from Chicago V, VI, VIII, and X was fun and made me miss that music more. I think I need to do some downloading this week…
  • Saturday
    • The prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was “ball,” which reminded me that yesterday was former Braves star Dale Murphy’s 60th birthday, and that was what the post was about.

Thanks to all of you who came by and commented. I enjoy the interaction with you and am glad you enjoyed what I wrote.

That’s it for The Week That Was for this week. I hope those of you who will be doing the A to Z Challenge are hard at work writing and scheduling your posts. I haven’t even started…




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment