Sunday, March 20, 2016

The Beginning of Spring Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by the 1966 Pontiac GTO.

I was never much of a car guy, but this seemed appropriate.

twtw

 

So spring started at 0430 UTC, which was 12:30 AM this morning in my neck of the woods, and we’re having our last dose of winter today. Not snowing, but significantly colder than it has been. It’s been in the 70’s here (above 20C for you metricksters) most of the week, today it’s in the 50’s (around 15C). But the sun’s out and we neveer got the rain that was forecast for yesterday, so that’s good, right?

You have until midnight tonight to vote in this round of Battle of the Bands. It’s The Spencer Davis Group vs. The Chicago Transit Authority (i.e. Chicago) over who does a better job of “I’m A Man.” I’ll announce the winner tomorrow. It’s very close, so be sure to vote if you haven’t.

Tomorrow is also the Theme Reveal for the A to Z Challenge, which starts a week from Friday. Expect some visitors tomorrow if you added your name to the Linky. If you haven’t, you have until 11:59 PM tomorrow night to sign up. There’s still time to sign up for the Challenge itself, which starts April 1; you have until 11:59 PM on April 4 to do that. I know a lot of you have already signed up (we’re up to 1254 participants), but if you haven’t, it’s more fun than a barrel of monkeys and you will easily double the traffic to your blog, so give it some thought.

I’ve been busy getting my entries for the Challenge done, so if this seems a little short (well, shorter than these have been), I’m thinking about that as I’m writing this. I’ve already completed through H and am halfway through I as we speak.

On to the summary…

  • Guitar solos were the theme for Monday’s Music Moves Me. Naturally, I overachieved, because that’s just the kind of guy I am. Ed wanted to know if I had ever heard of Phil Keaggy, an excellent guitar player you might not have heard of if you’re not into Christian rock or read Guitar Player magazine. I have his Beyond Nature, which is just him doing some excellent fingerstyle guitar. I had it on tape years ago, but it appears to have gone out-of-print.
  • Traffic was my featured artist on Two for Tuesday. They started out as a psychedelic rock band, then moved into Progressive rock in the 1970’s, a path it appears a lot of bands took (e.g. Pink Floyd). Joey said she learns things from me. Thanks, Joey!
  • I featured a quote from Veronica Roth on One-Liner Wednesday. She’s the author of the Divergent series, which I have read and think is excellent. Deborah said she hasn’t read the books, but the movie was excellent. I’ve heard the same; I might watch it if it comes to Netflix, which Mary has a subscription to. Kisma and Michele talked about their guilty pleasures; as Kisma said, they keep us sane. Maybe we all should stop feeling guilty about them.
  • I told the story of how my brothers and I started a “water works” in the pantry on Magnolia Avenue on Wednesdays for my Wife. I alluded to another story, which I’ll tell this week. It’s a wonder we didn’t kill ourselves.
  • Thursday was St. Patrick’s Day, and Mama Kat wanted to know how we spent it for Writer’s Workshop. Those of us who grew up in Chicago realize that it’s the most important non-holiday of the year. I don’t do anything on St. Paddy’s Day anymore; I think I burned out on it. Brendan reminded us that tomorrow is Benito Juarez’s birthday, which reminded me that yesterday was the feast of St. Joseph, stepfather of Jesus and patron saint of workers. St. Joseph the Worker is recognized on May 1.
  • The Friday Five was dedicated to the TV themes of William Garrett “Snuffy” Walden, who won an Emmy for the theme from The West Wing. I never watched any of the shows whose themes I featured, for whatever reason. I had never even heard of Huff, and neither did Ally Bean. Anyone see that one?
  • Of course, I went in a completely different direction with the prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday, “Egg.” I talked about Vincent Price, who played Egghead on the Batman TV show from the mid-1960’s, and about all the great actors who appeared as villains on that show. It was such a popular series actors begged to be on it. It was the Murder, She Wrote of its day. Brendan said he learned something from my blog again; thanks, Brendan! He shared the beautiful acceptance speech he did when he won the Academy Award for Kramer vs. Kramer, which is worth a watch. I think you’ll agree.

That’s it for this week. See you this coming week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments: