Thursday, February 18, 2016

Writer’s Workshop: I love coffee

 

Mama Kat had a good prompt for me this week:

Write a blog post inspired by the word: Coffee

 

A couple of years ago, I decided that I was going to give up every other drink except coffee and water, and the occasional Frappuccino or milk shake. I was drinking a lot of diet soda, and my blood pressure was going up. Within a week of switching, my blood pressure went way down.

I love coffee. I can’t drink regular coffee anymore, because it raises my blood pressure, and I don’t need another blood vessel bursting in my brain. I have to drink decaf, which many people say isn’t drinking coffee. You know what I say? Screw ’em if they can’t take a joke.

COFFEE_1

Did you know that Starbucks doesn’t brew decaf after the morning rush? They’re more than happy to make you a cup where they drip water through a filter with decaf in it, but it doesn’t taste right. I just get a venti (20 oz.) Americano, which is four shots of (decaf) espresso mixed with hot water. I always request it with no room for cream and sugar. My folks didn’t drink coffee with cream and sugar, and I took after them. The water they use for the Americano is just a couple of degrees lower than boiling, so you have to let it sit for a few minutes to let it cool off.

Mary and I go to Starbucks a lot. She brings her knitting and iPad, I bring my netbook. I get a lot of my writing done there (writing to include searching for pictures and fretting over copyright), at least one blog post, maybe two. I try and leave time to visit bloggers who have stopped by the blog and made comments on my entries. As Yogi Berra said, you should always go to other people’s funerals, or they won’t go to yours. Visiting other blogs is a lot more fun than going to funerals, obviously, but the idea is the same: if you want people to come and visit your blog, you should go and visit theirs. I’m not always good about that, although I do follow over 400 blogs, and try to make comments or at least give the blogger a “Like” when I can….

Where was I?

I drink coffee all day. We make a pot of decaf first thing in the morning, Mary fills her cup and my ubiquitous travel mug and puts the rest in a Thermos. I top off my mug whenever I’m in the vicinity of the Thermos. She still drinks regular, and I generally make her half a pot at some point during the day.

2016-02-18 12.50.09
My ubiquitous travel mug. I think I’m due for a new one.

I like the travel mug because I can stick it in my pocket and walk up and down stairs with it. That’s one of the advantages of being a big guy: bigger pockets.

Nature’s calling from across the hall… Here’s Manhattan Transfer with “Java Jive.”


Here are the instructions for Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop, in case you want to play along:

Choose a prompt, post it on your blog, and come back to add your name to the link list below. Be sure to sign up with the actual post URL and not just your basic blog URL (click on the title of your post for that URL). For good comment karma try to comment on the three blogs above your name!!

The Prompts:

  1. Share something your significant other recently did or said that made you smile.
  2. Share a photo that captures your special Valentine(s).
  3. List the top 10 blogs you’re loving most this month.
  4. Write a blog post inspired by the word: Coffee
  5. List your five most recent favorite things.
  6. February 18th is National Drink Wine Day. How do you like your wine?



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been able to adapt a taste for coffee in all my years. Tho I make it for my husband and grew up with it in my household. So sweet of you to make coffee for your Mary.

    ReplyDelete