We all know what this Sunday is: the feast of Sts. Cyril and Methodius.
Just kidding (although it is now C&M’s day, that is, if it weren’t also the First Sunday of Lent). That’s right, it’s Valentine’s Day, or as we like to call it, Black Friday for the candy, floral, and greeting card businesses. Mary already has her Valentine’s Day gift: she bought a class from Craftsy.
Today we have five songs with “Valentine” in the title to celebrate the occasion.
- My Funny Valentine – Chaka Khan: The standard for Valentine’s Day songs. I liked the way Chaka sang this one better than anyone else.
- My Valentine – Paul McCartney: Natalie Portman does the song in American Sign Language along with Sir Paul. I think it adds something.
- My Valentine – Martina McBride: Martina is joined by New Age/Adult Contemporary artist Jim Brickman on piano.
- Won’t You Be My Valentine – Dore Alpert: In his pre-Tijuana Brass days, Herb Alpert tried to become a teen idol and recorded ten songs under the name Dore Alpert, including this one. He has a nice voice, but I think the world’s a better place with him playing trumpet.
- Blue Valentines – Tom Waits: What would the holiday be without a song from Tom Waits? Notice he practically belches out the first word of the song. How Tom Waits of him.
So, there’s your Friday Five. Happy Valentine’s Day this Sunday!
from The Sound of One Hand Typing