Saturday, February 13, 2016

Retirement, Blogging, the A to Z Challenge, and a Request for Help #socs #atozchallenge

I’ve been more or less retired since I went on disability a couple of years ago. On the one hand, I don’t miss having to deal with office politics, having to dress up (even when we went “business casual”), rush hour traffic, the phone going off every ten minutes, my email being full all the time, 90% of it being junk that I didn’t need to be included on but was because someone wanted to look important, status reporting, expense reports, etc. etc. On the other hand, I miss the camaraderie of working with people, the paycheck (of course), and people telling me I’m doing a good job, which made me feel like I was doing something worthwhile.

That’s why I blog: it gives me something worthwhile and rewarding to do. My “Wednesdays for My Wife” stories have gotten some good reviews, and more than a couple of people have recommended that I gather them into a book and sell it on Amazon. It’s a big step for me, and I’m not certain I have enough for a book yet, but then I consider that I have stories strewn all over the blog, some of which I wrote for the A to Z Challenge, others I’ve had on my hard drive for some time, and a few I’ve got fermenting in my mind, and I realize yeah, I could do this. Just have to find everything, gather it up, and get it published. Then spam the hell out of Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, etc. trying to sell it…

I’m not sure what I’m going to do for the A to Z Challenge, but I’m already signed up for it and plan on having everything for it written and ready to go by April Fool’s Day, when the festivities begin. I’m one of the co-hosts for it, too, meaning I have to make sure that everyone who signed up for the Challenge is participating. I mean, I don’t have to check all 2000 or so blogs that are going to be participating, because I’m not the only co-host, but I will probably have a couple hundred of them that I have to check every day. (I’m hoping we have a lot of partcipants this year!)

Fortunately, I get the chance to recruit a few people (what we call “minions”) to help me get the job done every day. I have one so far and have requests out to a couple of other folks, and I know there’s a list of people who volunteered to do the job, but I’d like to ask you, my readers: If you’re doing the A to Z Challenge, would you be interested in being a member of my merry band of minions, i.e. Holton’s Heroes?

  


 

Stream of Consciousness Saturday is hosted by Linda Hill, who I know is doing the A to Z Challenge (see? all the cool kids are!).




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment