Sunday, February 21, 2016

Another February The Week That Was

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by Elsie Brand Popsicles and Fudgsicles, made by Borden. If it’s Borden’s… it’s got to be good!

Not especially politically correct, I know, but this commercial is notable for a couple of reasons: One, it features Iron Eyes Cody, who was in one of the most famous “Keep America Beautiful” ads in the 1970’s. Two, it also features William Fawcett, who played Pete Wilkey in the TV show Fury, which ran from 1955 to 1960. Fawcett had a Ph. D. and was a professor of theater at Michigan State University, who had always talked about leaving the university and trying his acting skills. He entered the acting profession after World War II and never returned to teaching. He was in a lot of Westerns in the 1950’s and 1960’s. The Popsicle brands are now owned by Unilever and produced by their Good Humor division.

twtw

 

Still working on the format of this. Last week’s was a little shorter, but still too long.

MONDAY

  • You still have until midnight tonight to vote in this week’s Battle of the Bands. The song is “Come Together” and the contestants are The Eurythmics and Soundgarden. Winner announced tomorrow.
  • A freebie week on Monday’s Music Moves Me gave me an opportunity to do a TV Themes post centered around themes from Westerns, in honor of my dad’s birthday. Several of you came up with your favorite shows and themes. I think it’s safe to say that Westerns were a popular form of TV entertainment that’s disappeared. Brendan wondered why; all I can figure is that it’s too expensive to build and maintain the sets and the costumes.

TUESDAY

  • Procol Harum was the subject of Two for Tuesday. Probably best-known for “A Whiter Shade of Pale,” they’ve recorded eleven studio albums and were a staple of FM radio in the progressive-rock era of the early 1970’s. Michele wondered where I had heard “A Souvenir of London” was about venereal disease (Circus Magazine, 1973). My brother Jim (over on Facebook) wondered where I had even heard it. It was on Grand Hotel, the album after their live album with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra.

WEDNESDAY

  • Every writer who writes about his or her childhood has to include at least one story about acting in a school play, and Wednesday, for Wednesdays for My Wife, it was my turn. The school play in question was the Christmas pageant I was in when I was in eighth grade (1969), the year I was a Wise Guy… sorry, Wise Man. As school plays go, it went a little better than most, which isn’t saying much. Seems I had my one line cut by half, throwing the other two Wise Men’s timing off because the director didn’t bother to tell them.
  • Rodney Dangerfield provided the one-liner for One-Liner Wednesday. Rodney was one of the old-fashioned comedians who could rip off one-liners at will.

THURSDAY

  • I wrote about my love for coffee, albeit decaf to keep my blood pressure down, for the Writer’s Workshop. I added a video of Manhattan Transfer’s “Java Jive” to the list, prompting Pam to tell us she used to be able to sing all four parts of the harmony, although not at the same time. I think that outdoes my ability to sing all the parts of The Temptations’ “I Can’t Get Next To You.” Several of you expressed a desire to try writing at Starbucks over coffee like I do, except for Brendan, who said “Starbucks is evil.” To each his own.

FRIDAY

  • The Friday Five was five songs about driving. Why, I don’t know. But everyone seemed to like the playlist, particularly Golden Earring’s “Radar Love.” Lauralynn wanted to know if Johnny Cash ever did “Hot Rod Lincoln” after hearing Commander Cody’s version, since she couldn’t find it on YouTube. Neither could I. I’m pretty sure he did, though.

SATURDAY

  • The assignment for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was to start the post with a contraction, and extra credit was given for ending it with one. I didn’t, but I did build a playlist of songs whose titles start with a contraction. I continued by talking about one of the best movie parodies ever done by MAD Magazine, “True Grit,” where the female star spoke without contractions except for when she got upset. The Lady over at The Hailey and Zaphod Chronicles said that her favorite feature in MAD was “Spy vs. Spy,” about which I wrote about a year ago. No one called me on my error about portmanteau words; they are not compound words like “bagpipes” or “briefcase,” but instead are words that are built with pieces of words, like “smog” (“smoke”+”fog”) or “Spam” (“spiced”+”ham”). Deborah said she always thought a portmanteau was a suitcase, and it is, but it’s also words that are built from parts of other words. We will be seeing many more of these in the future…

And that’s it for this edition of The Week That Was. Tomorrow, the signup for “The Great Theme Reveal,” a tradition with the A to Z Challenge, commences; the actual theme reveal is shortly before the start of the actual challenge, but I have to wait until tomorrow to find out when it is. Hope to see you this week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment