Saturday, January 16, 2016

“What” Songs #socs #JusJoJan

What happens sometimes when I sit down to write a post is that I’ll get a prompt like today’s and say, “Hey, I can build a playlist around that word!” And, when that happens, I try and fit it into one of my playlist days, i.e. Monday or Friday. Anyway, I got the prompt for today and that’s what happened: It brought to mind songs with the word “what” in the title, and I was ready to do this for The Friday Five yesterday. Then I realized, if I did that, I’d have to come up with a different idea for today. I made a management decision, and this week’s Friday Five is

The Saturday Six!

 

Here are six songs with “what” in the title. Hope you like them.

  1. What A Difference A Day Makes – Angelina Jordan: Originally, I had planned to use Dinah Washington’s version of this song, and while I was listening to it I saw that YouTube had recommended this one. So I gave it a listen, and was absolutely astounded. Angelina Jordan won “Norway’s Got Talent” in 2014, when she was just eight. She just turned ten on Sunday. Wait until you hear this kid’s voice; she’s amazing. Had I only known about her last Monday, when the theme was “Covers by Talent Show Contestants”…
  2. What’s New – Linda Ronstadt with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra: Arlee Bird featured this as one of the contestants in his January 1 Battle of the Bands, where it won handily. Ms. Ronstadt is suffering from Parkinson’s Disease and has had to retire from singing; a shame, because hers was one of the best voices in rock and pop.
  3. What’s New Pussycat? – Tom Jones: Bacharach and David wrote it, Tom Jones sang it… what else can I say? This was the theme song from the 1965 movie of the same name, which starred Peter Sellers, Peter O’Toole, Romy Schneider, Capucine, Ursula Andress, and Paula Prentiss, and was nominated for an Academy Award in 1966.
  4. For What It’s Worth – Buffalo Springfield: Stephen Stills was inspired to write this by the 1966 Sunset Strip riots, so it’s not an antiwar song, although it’s often thought of as one.
  5. What’s Goin’ On – Marvin Gaye: A hit for Marvin Gaye in 1971. Renaldo “Obie” Benson was inspired to write this by a police brutality case, and wrote this with Gaye and Al Cleveland. This has a more jazzy feel than many of Marvin’s earlier hits, a feel that would continue through many of Gaye’s other hits in the 1970’s.
  6. So What – Miles Davis: A jazz standard recorded as the first trackn on Miles’ 1959 album Kind of Blue. It’s an example of modal jazz, written in Dorian mode, which later inspired John Coltrane, who plays saxophone on this track. Bill Evans’ piano accompaniment features what is now referred to as the “So What” chord. I’ll spare you the discussion of music theory this threatens to become…

So, a Saturday Six around the word “what.” Now, I’ll head to bed, because I’m weary…

socs-badge-2015

 




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. I like the last one. :)
    So many songs with 'what' in the title but these are really great picks.

    ReplyDelete