Friday, January 22, 2016

Snowmageddon and The WLS Top 5 from January 21, 1978

FriddayFive

 

They’re forecasting snow for us tonight, so we know what that means…

12509646_10156476812420084_3791922947238017162_n

 

They’re predicting almost an inch! Ermahgerd! Anyway…

Next Thursday, Mary and I will be married 38 years. Mary tells me it’s the yarn anniversary, but then, every anniversary is the yarn anniversary. Anyway, someone posted the WLS Survey from January 21, 1978, the week before we were married, on Facebook, and I thought it might be fun to look at the top five songs from that day, as a simple Friday Five.


 

  1. Short People – Randy Newman: Nobody’s favorite song, but it made it pretty far up the chart, all the way up to #2 before starting its descent a couple of weeks later. Must not have been that unpopular.
  2. You’re In My Heart – Rod Stewart: This was the highest this got on the survey.
  3. Here You Come Again – Dolly Parton: And a happy 70th the other day to the wonderful Ms. Parton. Many, many more, Dolly.
  4. Runaround Sue – Leif Garrett: Teen heartthrob Leif had the world by the tail at this point. Now he’s doing shows like “World’s Dumbest Criminals” with Tonya Harding and Todd Bridges.
  5. We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions – Queen: You hear the drum bit at the beginning at baseball games, particularly when the home team is batting. Still a great song.

And that’s your Friday Five for January 22, 2016. Have a good weekend and stay safe and warm.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

3 comments:

  1. Hope your survive the storm. an inch, that is nothing! I am laughing at short people. My father is 6'2 and my mom is 5 feet even. My dad always sings short people to her:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even sure we got that much. The roads and sidewalks are dry; it's just on the lawn and in the trees. Almost silly to worry about it, but I think the weather people wouldn't know what to do without the crisis.

      Randy Newman, who did "short people," is a real character. A very mordant sense of humor...

      Delete
  2. Hi John! I'm from Canada's east coast, and last year we got walloped with a true Snowmageddon in February that left most of us with PTSD (me included, and I love snow.) It's bizarre to be sidestepping this giant weather system here in Nova Scotia when Washington DC is buried in snow. (My beloved National Ballet of Canada is on tour there right now, and had to cancel their performance, something that's only happened to them three times in their 64-year history. You wouldn't think that one of the three would be in DC.)

    Enjoyed your set this week -- my dad used to love Short People (as we are French Acadian and we're all short.) My favorite is definitely Rod Stewart this week.

    ReplyDelete