Monday, January 4, 2016

Question of the Month: Resolutions? What Resolutions?

QotMBadge

I almost forgot, it’s time for the Question of the Month, which is sponsored by Michael D’Agostino over at A Life Examined, who asked the musical question:

What are some new year’s resolutions you’ve had in the past?

New Year’s resolutions are a waste of time, at least where I’m concerned. I’m so scatterbrained, I forget I made the resolution, and when someone asks, “How’s that New Year’s resolution coming, John?” all I can do is stand there with a dumb look on my face (which, incidentally, I do very well).

I used to participate in A Round Of Words In 80 Days, where you set goals for yourself, tell the world you’ve set them, then report on your progress every week. I was awful at it, and decided last April, after doing it for three years, it wasn’t doing me any good, because I’d forget to work on any of the goals I had set for myself. I looked like an idiot. At some point, I might get back to doing it, but that won’t be any time soon.

The one resolution I’ve kept is the resolution to post to the blog every day. I started doing that on July 1, 2014, and haven’t missed a day yet. That’s eighteen months and five days ago, at least one entry a day. That’s a lot of writing, much more than I ever imagined myself doing. Maybe too much writing.

There are plenty of things I want to do: become less verbose, teach myself Inkscape, use more pictures and artwork on the blog, build up a backlog of entries so I’m not rushing around at the last minute to get blog entries posted, reply to comments in a timely fashion (and don’t forget the ones made on the FM blog!), things like that. And I am doing those things. Maybe not as quickly or as completely as I’d like, but it’s coming along, I’m happy to say. I don’t want to make these things into formal goals, or resolutions or whatever you want to call them, because, knowing me, I would stop working on them.

I think it’s the rebel in me. I’ve never liked taking orders from anyone, least of all myself.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment