Monday, January 18, 2016

Monday’s Music Moves Me: The Incredible Angelina Jordan

Photobucket

 

Remember last week, when the theme was covers by participants of TV talent shows, and how I couldn’t come up with any because I don’t watch those shows? If I had known about Angelina Jordan then, I wouldn’t have had any trouble.

Angelina turned ten years old about a week ago. She’s from Norway, but lived in the US for a couple of years when her father, a petroleum engineer, came to work here. She attends the Oslo Waldorf School (St. Ignatius, my old grammar school from way back, is now the Chicago Waldorf School) and also takes lessons in voice at the Oslo School of Music and Performing Art, and can play piano, violin, and flute. And, two years ago, when she was just eight, she entered Norske Talenter (Norway’s Got Talent) and won.

I was building a playlist last Saturday for Stream of Consciousness Saturday, where all the songs had to have the word “what” in the title. The first one I thought of was “What A Difference A Day Makes” by Dinah Washington. While YouTube was playing that, I noticed another version of the song by Angelina. When Dinah was finished, I listened to Angelina’s version. And fell in love with her. Okay, fell in love with her voice. If you didn’t watch the video, you’d swear a much older woman was singing.

I’ve gathered five songs from the many videos of her on YouTube so you get a better idea of her amazing ability.

  1. Fly Me To The Moon: I apologize in advance for Rosie O’Donnell taking up half this video, although she asked Angelina some good questions. You’ll notice Angelina speaks almost unaccented English; as I said, she lived in the US for a time. I think she almost sounds like Astrud Gilberto when she sings this.
  2. What A Difference A Day Makes: This from TV2 in Norway. I don’t speak Norwegian, so I didn’t understand a word of the interview. The commenters on YouTube were comparing her to the late Amy Winehouse. I think she sounds a lot like Dinah Washington.
  3. At Last: The classic by Etta James, and Angelina does a magnificent job, and manages to sound like Etta.
  4. I’ll Be There: Michael Jackson was 11 or 12 when this was a hit for The Jackson Five in 1970. Angelina is eight here. There’s a little more dynamic in her voice on this one, and she handles it beautifully.
  5. I’m A Fool To Want You: This was her initial audition for Norske Talenter. Listen to Billie Holiday’s version of the song and you can tell how well Angelina matches Billie’s performance. And this was a capella. You can see the judges and the effect she has on them.

These were all recorded when she was eight. She’s gotten even better since then, as you can tell. I can only hope that in the next few years she gets the attention she richly deserves, not because she’s a young girl with a mature, almost sultry, voice, but because she’s a talented young woman with an amazing voice. She has a webpage, naturally, and is active on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

That’s Monday’s Music Moves Me for January 18, 2016.

Monday’s Music Moves Me is sponsored by X-Mas Dolly, Callie, Stacy, and Naila Moon (at least through December), so be sure and visit them, where you can also find the Linky for the other participants.


Photobucket



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment