Monday, January 11, 2016

Monday’s Music Moves Me: I Have No Idea What I’m Doing Here…

Photobucket

I took one look at the theme for today’s MMMM, and just busted out laughing.

Our theme for Monday’s Music Moves Me is a “My theme choice is: song covers performed by new artists featured on TV talent shows.”! Let’s ROCK!

I must be the only person in the entire world who doesn’t watch TV talent shows. Correction: Mary and I must be the only people in the entire world who don’t watch TV talent shows. So I’m flying blind here. I have all the articles about American Idol from Wikipedia that go into details about who sang what for which season, and I found that, in Season One, one of the rounds was “Burt Bacharach Love Songs.” Now, you probably already know that Burt Bacharach is one of my favorite composers, and the songs chosen by the contestants are some of my favorites by him. So, let’s relive that round, sort of….

  1. Walk On By – Kelly Clarkson: A big hit for Dionne Warwick in the 1960’s, Kelly, the eventual winner of the season, does an okay job with this, although I think she should have backed off a little on the vocal.
  2. Arthur’s Theme (Best That You Can Do) – R. J. Helton: Sung originally by Christopher Cross, who had a #1 hit (his second and last) with it in 1981. MTV was Chris’s downfall: he had a fantastic voice, but didn’t have the looks to go with it. This is a long clip of R. J., of which less than two minutes are the actual song. He gave it a good try, but exited after this round.
  3. A House Is Not A Home – Tamyra Gray: Of the five performances, hers might have been the best in this round.
  4. The Look Of Love – Justin Guarini: Justin does a pretty good job with this. No Dusty Springfield or Brasil ’66, but I get the sense he actually listened to their versions of it.
  5. Always Something There To Remind Me – Nikki McKibbin: I featured this song in my Battle of the Bands a while back, surprised that Bacharach and David wrote it and that it was done several times before Naked Eyes’ 1983 version, the one I was familiar with and the one Nikki styled her version after. The judges were, I thought, quite negative with her; I didn’t think she was that bad.

I think, in seeing these performances and the hatchet job these judges did on the performers, I realized what I don’t like about these shows. These were all, I thought, good singers doing songs that they either didn’t like or weren’t comfortable singing, after which three judges of questionable credentials tell them they suck. The music business is a tough one, and even superior performers have a hard time getting a break, but that doesn’t discourage musicians from making music anyway, nor should it. I agree with Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters and formerly of Nirvana, who expressed his feeling about these shows in a delightfully profane manner.

Anyway, that’s it for this edition of Monday’s Music Moves Me. See you next week!

Monday’s Music Moves Me is sponsored by X-Mas Dolly, Callie, Stacy, and Naila Moon (at least through December), so be sure and visit them, where you can also find the Linky for the other participants.


Photobucket



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment