Thursday, January 7, 2016

#JusJoJan: Remember that the mighty oak was once a nut like you

Today’s Just Jot It January prompt is “robust” (thanks a lot, Michael from Morpethroad). Not one of those words I use frequently. Our marketing people used to say we sold “robust applications”; I always felt silly saying that. Makes them sound like wine (which I know diddly squat about) or coffee (which I know a little more about, but I wouldn’t call myself a connoisseur who uses words like “robust”).

So, off to the Free Dictionary for their take on the word I went, and discovered that the word came from the Latin word rōbur, their word for “oak.”


Pedunculate oak foliage and acorns (Source: Wikipedia/MPF, CC BY-SA 3.0)

For some reason, the first thing that came to mind was “Heart of Oak,” the official march of the Royal Navy of the United Kingdom.

While I was listening to that, I remembered that Chicago has an Oak Street, with a popular beach at the end of it.

14956939269_f4090ab54f_z
Oak Street Beach, Chicago (Source: Doug Sun Beams/Flickr, CC BY 2.0)

And I remembered that my grandparents (Walkie and Hicks) used to get their milk from the Twin Oaks Dairy, back in the days when people had their milk delivered. If you Google “Twin Oaks Dairy,” there are lots of them out there, none of which are the one I’m talking about. I found the obituary of one of the founders, Henry Duda. He was an independent milk vendor who got together with others and bought a milk processing plant in 1957.

Amazing the things you can find on the Internet…


Just Jot It January is hosted by Linda Hill.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. Decades ago (probably in the 40s) my great -grandmother took an acorn from her cottage and started a sapling that grew into a hardy oak tree she planted back at the cottage. About 20 years ago a storm fell the beautiful tree. It was sad. My family had tables made out of it. Last year, my parents brought me a sapling from a decedent of this tree. It is tiny but thriving and I hope it will grow well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think of how high it will grow in the next 40 years or so...

      Delete