Friday, January 1, 2016

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: “My Special Angel”

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

Hi, everyone, and Happy New Year! I hope you had a good evening last night and you’re not nursing too much of a hangover today.

Today’s song is one you might be familiar with, “My Special Angel.” It was written by Jimmy Duncan in 1957, and first recorded by Bobby Helms (of “Jingle Bell Rock” fame) that year. It was a crossover hit for him, charting at #1 for four weeks on the Country chart and reaching #7 on the Hot 100. This isn’t part of the battle; I’ve just included it for your musical enjoyment.

It’s been covered by many acts, including Bobby Vinton, Bill Haley and the Comets, Glen Campbell, and the three acts I’ve selected for this battle. Yes, three; I couldn’t choose just two, and thought, it’s a short song, three shouldn’t cause too much grief. Here are your choices.

CONTESTANT #1: Jerry Vale

Jerry recorded his version for his 1969 album Till.

CONTESTANT #2: Malcolm Vaughan

Malcolm Vaughan also recorded his version in 1957. It spent 14 weeks on the UK charts, peaking at #3.

CONTESTANT #3: The Vogues

The Vogues released their version in 1968. It reached #7 on the Hot 100, and spent two weeks at #1 on the Easy Listening chart.

Now, it’s time to vote…

Whose version of “My Special Angel” did you like the best? Jerry Vale’s, Malcolm Vaughan’s, or The Vogues’? Give them all a listen and leave your vote in the comment section below. I think they’re all pretty similar, but just different enough to make this a horse race. Then, how about visiting these blogs and seeing what sort of battles they’re doing today?

Tossing It Out
Far Away Series
StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands
Your Daily Dose
Mike’s Ramblings
Curious as a Cathy
DC Relief – Battle of the Bands
This Belle Rocks
Book Lover
Alex J. Cavanaugh
Shady Dell Music & Memories
Debbie D. at The Doglady’s Den
Angels Bark
Jingle Jangle Jungle
Janie Junebug Righting and Editing
Cherdo on the Flipside
Holli’s Hoots ‘n’ Hollers
J. A. Scott
Quiet Laughter
NovelBrews

I’ll announce the winner of this Battle next Thursday, January 7. May the best “special angel” win!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All three were good, but I liked Jerry Vale's version the best. I tried very hard not to let the sound quality get in the way of my internal critique as I listened to the song. But IMO, all three were very similar, and I just preferred his vocal quality over that of the others.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete