Sunday, December 20, 2015

‘Twas The Week That Was Before Christmas…

This edition of The Week That Was is sponsored by 7-Up. 7-Up: The Feeling of Christmas.

Maybe I’m just watching the wrong channels, but I don’t see 7-Up commercials any time but Christmas. More New Year’s, in fact. My mother always had me drink 7-Up because she believed it would keep me from breaking out. I had very good luck complexion-wise, but whether that has anything to do with 7-Up, I can’t say.

The Week That Was

Let’s start with the results of my last Battle of the Bands, which as you recall was Los Straitjackets vs. Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass in Battle “Jingle Bell Rock.”

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

This was a squeaker:

Herb Alpert and the TJB: 9
Los Straitjackets: 7

We had one absention, who said neither version did anything for her. I liked both of these; if I gave myself a vote, though, I’d have voted for Los Straitjackets, because, you know, guitar and surf. But a great battle, congratulations to Herb and the boys, and kudos to Los Straitjackets on a job well done.

Monday’s Music Moves Me was the second installment of Christmas music. Halfmoon Mollie said her mom was a big Eartha Kitt fan, so she knew Ms. Kitt’s version of “Santa Baby” long before Jessica What’s-Her-Name Simpson’s version. Lauralynn agreed, saying that Madonna’s version was just silly. I said I thought there were any number of women who could do the song well, but that Jessica Simpson isn’t one of them, and frankly, neither is Madonna. We welcome replies to our editorials.

Two for Tuesday featured the music of Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson, who wrote some of the biggest hits during the R&B/Soul explosion of the 1960’s and 1970’s, and performed a few of them as well. Lauralynn said she was a big fan of most R&B from that period, and really, who wasn’t? That was the heyday of the genre, and the peak of popularity for many of the acts of the time.

For Wednesdays for my Wife, Mary wanted me to repeat the story from the A to Z Challenge 2014 about shopping for her. Everyone seemed to like it, because everyone has had a moment or two (or more) like that, either not knowing what something is called or whether or not you have a utensil (e.g. a potato peeler) that you don’t use that often. That was never a problem when I was growing up; we had mashed potatoes at least once a week and carrots almost as often, all of which had to be peeled, usually by me. I don’t care much for mashed potatoes, as you can probably guess.

One-Liner Wednesday‘s quote was supplied by P. J. O’Rourke, current occupant of the H. L. Mencken Chair at the Cato Institute and someone Halfmoon Mollie would like to slap on occasion. As I told her, I think that’s the reaction he’s going for. P. J. is one of my favorite authors, especially in election years, of which 2016 is one of. (The older I get, the more I believe that anyone who wants elective office that badly shouldn’t be allowed to have it.) Evidently P. J. is also a favorite of Stephen T. McCarthy, a/k/a D-FensDogG, who thinks Don’t Vote, It Just Encourges The Bastards has all the makings of another classic.

On Thursday, for Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World Famous Writer’s Workshop, I told the story of how my mother’s future husband surprised me for Christmas 1970 by giving us tickets to see the Chicago Black Hawks (now the Chicago Blackhawks) play the Montreal Canadiens, an how it might be my favorite present ever. Kip reminded me that he and Jim received life jackets that Christmas for when they’d go out fishing, not one of my hobbies. Arlee, another radio enthusiast, mentioned he got an RCA StratoWorld radio for Christmas the year before I got my Zenith 790 Super Navigator. The difference was he had asked for his radio, while mine was a total surprise.

The Friday Five featured five Christmas novelty songs, including “The Chipmunk Song” by Ross Bagdasarian, a/k/a David Seville and the Chipmunks, a song I now cannot get out of my head.

Finally, the prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was “store.” I talked about how much easier it is now to order things over the Internet and have them delivered to the door as opposed to the old days, when you had to run all over hell’s half-acre to do your shopping. Uncle Jack, who is a big fan of Amazon Prime, said he also misses the old days, but not the old way of shopping. Stevebethere said he orders everything that isn’t within a five-minute walk of the house over the Internet, and that he starts to panic whenever it goes down. I think we all do nowadays. I did see an interesting article about how Millennials are more attached to the Internet than people in older generations (e.g. mine), who are more concerned they’re going to miss NCIS. While I agree that I don’t like missing my dose of Mark Harmon, David McCallum, and especially Pauley Perrette each week, Mary and I are still pretty attached to it.

Before I get finished here, I want to mention that signups for the A to Z Challenge 2016 start in just over a month (January 25), so be thinking about joining us and choosing a theme for this coming April. I also want to mention that I’ve built quite a backlog of comments to reply to and blogs to visit. I promise I’ll get to everyone eventually, hopefully by the end of the week.

If I don’t get a chance, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas or whatever it is you celebrate at the end of the year. Things will continue apace at this end, though as I mentioned The Friday Five will be taking a week off for the holiday. Hope to see you soon!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment