Friday, December 4, 2015

My Own “Black Friday”

FridayFive

I was sitting here wondering what my theme for The Friday Five would be, and I realized I hadn’t done songs with “black” in the title. By all rights, I should have done this last week, because of course last Friday was “Black Friday,” the day the brick-and-mortar stores go into the black for the first time all year, but for some reason it never occurred to me.

Duh.

So let’s remedy that situation right now: Five Songs With “Black” In The Title…

  1. Black Friday – Steely Dan: The first track from the 1975 album Katy Lied (the first on which Michael McDonald appeared for SD), it was released as a single and only reached #37 on the Hot 100. The album peaked at #13 in both the US and the UK.
  2. Black Water – The Doobie Brothers: From their 1974 album What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits, this song reached #1 on the Hot 100 in March 1975. Billboard ranked it as the #15 single for the year.
  3. Say It Loud – I’m Black And I’m Proud – James Brown: The unofficial anthem for the “Black Power” movement, this spent six weeks at #1 on the R&B chart in October and November 1968. The album of the same name came later.
  4. Paint It Black – The Rolling Stones: The first track from their 1966 album Aftermath. The sitar was influenced by George Harrison’s experiments with the insrument. It was a worldwide hit in 1966, reaching #1 in the US, the UK, Canada, and the Netherlands, and #2 in Austria, Finland, Germany, and Ireland. This is the official video for the song; I think it captures the spirit of the song.
  5. Black Is Black – Los Bravos: Their debut single, it reached #1 in Canada, #2 in the UK, and #4 (Hot 100) and #3 (Cash Box) in 1966.

So, that’s the Friday Five for December 4, 2015.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. thanks for comming and posting a comment I will add you to the blogs I follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John! Happy to meet you! I've been spinning tunes on Fridays with Mike for five years, now. Love your 'black set -- my favorite song from your set this week is Paint it Black.

    ReplyDelete