Saturday, November 21, 2015

To, Two, Too Mints in One (?) #socs

Remember Certs?

Anyone know exactly what Retsyn was? It was some sort of breath freshener. Wikipedia says it’s a mix of copper gluconate, partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, and flavor, and that the green flecks in the mint come from the copper. I had a friend who used to carry these with him everywhere when we were in grammar and high school. They tasted pretty good, but I don’t think they did a very good job of keeping breath fresh. I had another friend who used to chew whole cloves for bad breath. Not as bad as it sounds. Like Clove gum, flavored with cloves. But, back to Certs… I haven’t seen them around recently, but then I haven’t been going to the store with Mary.

It drives me crazy when people misuse “to” for “too,” and vice versa. You get a lot of that on Facebook, and sometimes from people that you know are reasonably well-educated. Mary, who reads novels all the time, can’t believe the number of writers – writers! – who get it wrong. I’m sure it keeps the editors busy.

I’ve always been fussy about getting people’s names right, maybe because so many folks spell my name (Holton) wrong a lot. Well, not wrong, just not the way I spell it.

It’s Friday night, and it’s late, and it’s been a long day, so I’m going to do a song and call it a night. From 1973, Mocedades, “Eres Tú,” sung by Amaya Uranga. This finished second in the 1973 Eurovision Song Contest, four points behind the local favorite, “Tu Te Reconnaîtras” by Luxembourg’s Anne-Marie David. I guess we can add “tu” or “tú” to “to/two/too”…


socs-badge-2015

Stream of Consciousness Saturday is hosted by Linda Hill over at her blog. Helen Espinoza is standing in while Linda is away, but you can find the rules and list of participants at Linda’s, anyway.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment