Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Big Before-Thanksgiving Week That Was!

The Week That Was is sponsored today by Cool Whip. Tastes like you went to a whole lot of trouble.

Thanksgiving here in the US is Thursday, where we take a day to give thanks for all we have. Then comes the first day of the Christmas shopping season, Black Friday, the day that department stores and other businesses go into the black (i.e. show a profit, maybe for the first time all year). In recent years stores made a habit of opening at midnight on Black Friday, and more recently opening as early as 6:00 PM on Thanksgiving. A few chains have halted this practice, so their employees can have the day off with their families. I think that’s a good idea. Anyway…

The Week That Was

It was a busy week here, and I crossed a milestone yesterday….

NEWSPPR1

I’m not especially good at putting pictures into my blog entries. I found a bunch of ancient disks of clip art (the source of the above graphic), most of which has to be converted from WMF or PCX (which I just learned was a format developed by “the now defunct ZSoft Company of Marietta, Georgia”) format into something a little more modern, say JPG or PNG. I’m having trouble finding a program (freeware, if at all possible) that will convert all of them in one big ol’ batch. If you have a suggestion, please let me know.

Monday’s Music Moves Me featured Big Band music. Since my folks were Big Band fans, I was familiar with the genre. Everyone who commented seemed to enjoy the selections.

Two for Tuesday featured the songwriting and production team Stock Aitken Waterman, the big names in British Eighties Pop music, having written and/or produced hits by Bananarama, Rick Astley, Kylie Minogue, and others. Annalisa said they were definitely music from her childhood and young adulthood, and that at one time they dominated the British charts. Willowdot21 said she enjoyed dancing to the tunes, even as a mother with young children. I was in my late twenties and early thirties, was traveling a lot, and eventually bought a house and moved us to Georgia during their heyday, so as you can imagine their music is significant in my life.

For One-Liner Wednesday, I used a quote from Antoine Leiris, whose wife was killed in the terrorist attacks on the Bataclan in Paris on Friday the 13th. He wrote an open letter to the terrorists on Facebook that went viral. I linked to the article, which includes a video where someone reads it. It’s bitter, angry, resigned, and defiant all at once. If you haven’t seen or heard it, it’s beautiful and worth a read or a listen.

The Thursday Ten featured the top ten songs from the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest, which was won by ABBA and their international hit “Waterloo.” One thing I’ve noticed is, in the earlier days of the contest, English was just one of several languages used by contestants. For example, in 1974 only four songs were in English (three were in French, and one each in Italian, Spanish, and Hebrew). This past year, nine of the top ten songs were in English.

I posted The Friday Five later than usual, and chose songs with “night” in the title. Arlee, who’s a HUGE Bruce Cockburn fan, suggested one of his songs, “The Coldest Night Of The Year.” And Lauralynn appreciated that I included a Beatles song, and I appreciate her for appreciating it.

I also announced the results of my most recent Battle of the Bands on Friday (I know I said I’d post them on Saturday, but I forgot to change the post date and it published right away). The Battle was between Paper Lace and Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, both of whom had a #1 hit with “Billy, Don’t Be A Hero” in 1974. In a head-to-head contest, they split the votes evenly, about what I expected would happen.

Finally, the prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday (chosen by Helen Espinosa in Linda Hill’s absence) was “to/too/two.” Naturally, I thought of Certs, for years advertsed as “two, two, two mints in one!” I also talked about the difference between “to” and “too,” often confused for one another, even by reasonably well-educated people and authors of e-books. Helen commented that, if you’re going to self-publish, it’d be a good idea to proofread, maybe even get another set of eyes or two on the manuscript to catch stuff like that. I made the comment elsewhere that the dative case of noun declensions in Latin was used for “to” or “for,” and maybe we should use “for” instead. I mean we say, “I’m going for coffee,” right? I’m not sure “I’m going for the store, want anything?” would really work there, but it was a thought. Everyone thought including Mocedades’s international hit “Eres TĂș” was a nice touch.

So, that was The Week That Was for this week. As always, thanks for reading the blog, and be sure to join me this week for more music, random thoughts, and general craziness. Bye for now!

happythanksgiving2014



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment