Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Week That Was for October 11, 2015

This week’s edition of “The Week That Was” is sponsored by Stopette. Poof! There goes perspiration.

Mary and I have been watching reruns of the original “What’s My Line?” and “I’ve Got A Secret” Sunday nights on Buzzr. Stopette is one of the sponsors of “What’s My Line?,” and they leave the original commercials in.

The Week That Was

Another musical week here at The Sound of One Hand Typing, starting with Monday’s Music Moves Me. I had a choice between doing songs about growing up or songs from musicals; I chose the latter, and gave five examples of songs from musicals that have become jazz standards. People seemed to like the numbers by Miles Davis (“Smoke Gets In Your Eyes”) and John Coltrane (“My Favorite Things”) the best.

Two for Tuesday featured another songwriting team, John Lennon and Paul McCartney, who, in addition to all those remarkable songs for The Beatles, wrote songs for Cilla Black, Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas, Peter & Gordon, and others. Mollie wanted me to remind everyone that, at one time, Paul was dating Jane Asher, Peter’s sister, and speculated that it was due to the relationship that Paul wrote the song. Paul and John wrote separately, but credited the songs to both, and since I featured “A World Without Love” by Paul, my second song was “Bad To Me,” primarily John’s composition.

On One-Liner Wednesday, I used a quote from P. J. O’Rourke’s excellent book, Don’t Vote, It Only Encourages The Bastards, since here in the US we plan on electing a new President and probably the same old members of Congress in about thirteen months, as everyone in the media keeps reminding me.

I got some sad news on Wednesday, that Billy Joe Royal, the singer famous for songs such as “Hush,” “Down In The Boondocks,” and “Cherry Hill Park,” passed away peacefully in his sleep in his home in Marietta, North Carolina. Since he lived in Marietta, Georgia (my current 20) much of his early life, I feel a kinship with him. In honor of his passing, I reran my Battle of the Bands that featured his song “Hush.”

Wednesday was a busy day here: I also announced the winner of my most recent Battle of the Bands, which pitted Lee Ritenour et al. against the Brownman Electryc Trio, the song being the jazz classic “Stolen Moments.” Captain Fingers and crew (including Andreas Varady on guitar and Dave Grusin on piano) was victorious, though I’m happy to say it wasn’t as much of a landslide as some of my more recent battles. I’ll have another BotB this Thursday.

The Thursday Ten continued the previous Friday’s theme, songs with women’s names as the title. I also managed to assemble a YouTube playlist of the songs from Friday and Thursday that you can find here. One of the songs was Simon & Garfunkel’s “Cecilia,” and I mentioned that I consider it an EBS Special. Michele from Angels Bark (and if you aren’t reading her blog, why not?) said that “Cecilia” and Terry Jacks’s “Seasons in the Sun,” which I had flagged as EBS Specials, were a couple of her favorite songs. Fair enough; what is and isn’t is a highly individual matter, as I told her. De gustibus non est disputandum. My brother Kip, a frequent contributor to the goings-on here, came up with his own list over on Facebook, which will be another playlist. I’ll let y’all know where it is when I finish. My Uncle Jack wanted to know why I didn’t include “Sweet Genevieve,” which he said my mother (who was named Genevieve, as was her mother, possibly after the song) used to sing all the time. I had to be honest, I knew my mother my entire life (which you’d probably guess), and never heard her sing it. I think I’ll throw it in the list with Kip’s.

Thursday was also Writer’s Workshop day, and my essay was about my “major award,” a rather large trophy I won for coming in second place in an eighth-grade math contest I wasn’t even aware I was competing in. Jennifer, a new visitor to the blog (you know the drill, read her blog), said she would have felt totally cool carrying home a big trophy. As I told her, in my neighborhood, you generally got grief for something like that.

I’ve decided that The Friday Five shall be forever all about music, and this week’s playlist was “songs with ‘purple’ in the title.” Annalisa observed that Prince’s music is great, but he’s a little “wierd.” I think that’s meant to be part of his charm. He is a pretty tremendous musician and performer. Michele said she had trouble finding Prince videos that play when embedded in a blog post. Friday was the first time I’ve tried, and I had no trouble. Beginner’s luck, I guess.

Stream of Consciousness Saturday‘s prompt was that the first word had to end with “-ing,” and you got bonus points for the last word ending in -ing as well. I wrote about how I missed playing the guitar, since my right (pick) hand was adversely affected by the stroke. Several of you were very encouraging, which I appreciate, and Ed, one of my offline buddies (I know him through Lisa, his wife, who’s a friend of Twila, a friend that used to be on the Ghostletters mailing list; I’m in a writer’s group with Twila and Lisa and a couple of other guys), said he was going to dig his guitars out and restring them, and get back to playing. I’m going to give it another go; besides all the guitars, I have some picks that are a hybrid of a flatpick and a thumbpick, which I won’t manage to drop on the floor while I’m playing. I’ll be using Mick Goodrick’s The Advancing Guitarist as my guide for getting back into it.

Before I forget, this is Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, and I want to wish all of my Canadian friends a happy one, and don’t eat too much. For us, Monday is Columbus Day; Thanksgiving is November 26. A dearly departed friend of mine always questioned why our Thanksgiving wasn’t closer to harvest time. Wikipedia tells us that Abraham Lincoln set it as the last Thursday in November in order to foster a greater feeling of unity between Northern and Southern states after the Civil War, or as we in the South like to call it, the War of Yankee Aggression.

This week: Monday’s Music Moves Me, Two for Tuesday, One-Liner Wednesday, The Thursday Ten, another Battle of the Bands, Writer’s Workshop, The Friday Five, Stream of Consciousness Saturday, and a few surprises if I surprise myself with an idea. Have a good week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment