Thursday, October 8, 2015

The Thursday Ten: Ten More Song With Women’s Names As The Title

image

So, on Friday I presented five songs that used women’s or girls’ names as the title. I had wanted to do another five, then realized I could think of ten, so it’s now a Thursday Ten.

Valleri – The Monkees: This was a later hit by Michael, Davy, Micky, and Peter. I love Mike Nesmith’s guitar work in this one.

Mary, Mary – The Butterfield Blues Band: Originally a Monkees song, Paul Butterfield and crew covered it on their seminal 1966 album East-West.

Carrie Anne – The Hollies: I thought there were two songs by The Hollies, “Hey Mary Ann” and “Carrie Anne,” but discovered that the reason I couldn’t keep them straight is because I was thinking of the same song in both cases. Thanks to Nadine for suggesting this.

Clair – Gilbert O’Sullivan: Gilbert was popular in the early 1970’s, when singer-songwriters were all the rage.

Cecilia – Simon & Garfunkel: We knew a guy in grammar school that hated this song because he associated it with a girl who dumped him. It’s another example of an EBS Special.

Julia – The Beatles: From The Beatles, the actual name of “the white album.” Paul McCartney once said in an interview that he admired John Lennon’s ability to play fingerstyle, as demonstrated here.

Barbara Ann – The Beach Boys: I never realized this was a cover of a song originally recorded by The Regents in 1961. It sounds like they were having fun with it, maybe after a few adult beverages.

Lucille – Little Richard: A big hit for the flamboyant Mr. Penniman in 1957.

Pamela Brown – Tom T. Hall: I originally heard Leo Kottke do this one, but Tom wrote it. When we did “story songs” on Monday’s Music Moves Me, I should have included a few by Tom, known as “The Storyteller” for his ability to tell a story. Actually, I did: he wrote “Harper Valley PTA,” Jeannie C. Riley’s 1968 smash hit.

Roxanne – The Police: Halfmoon Mollie reminded me I hadn’t done this one. If I remember correctly, this was their first US hit.

I built a playlist with all of these songs and the ones from last Friday. You can find it here.

There’s The Thursday Ten for October 8, 2015.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment