Thursday, October 15, 2015

Ten Things I Blogged About Last Year

image

Another mashup with Mama Kat’s Pretty Much World-Famous Writer’s Workshop!

Mama had a great idea for a prompt:

What were you blogging about last year at this time? How have things changed?

I went back over the posts for last October, and realized that the whole month was pretty decent. I thought of linking back to each individual post, then realized that would send hundreds of pingbacks to those posts. So, instead, I’m just linking you to the month, hoping you’ll be sufficiently curious to read the entries yourself. If you aren’t, here is a summary of what I was talking about then.

  • On Hallowe’en, I took a “leap of faith” and announced that I would be posting links to the blog on Facebook. I had been publicizing the posts on Twitter and Google Plus, but was shy about sharing them to Facebook, maybe because I didn’t want my family and friends knowing that I was doing a blog. Finally, I decided it was time.
  • Thursday Tens: My ten favorite Saturday Morning cartoons; TV shows that haven’t been turned into movies — yet; things that happened during October, 1954 (in honor of my parents’ 60th wedding anniversary); reasons people don’t vote, including my solution: allowing people to vote “none of the above”; and ten suggestions for folks doing NaNoWriMo (I didn’t join them last year, and don’t plan on it this year).
  • I was doing a series on my favorite jazz guitar players on Two for Tuesday, including Jim Hall, Tal Farlow, Wes Montgomery, and Laurindo Almeida.
  • My Battles of the Bands were between Joe Cocker and Michael Bublé over whose verion of “Cry Me A River” was better (Bublé won 8-5) and between The Beatles, Smith, and Adele fighting it out over “Baby, It’s You” (Adele won, 5-4-4).
  • I recognized the passing of Jack Bruce, Paul Revere (of “& The Raiders” fame), and Jan Hooks, formerly of Saturday Night Live and Designing Women. I also celebrated the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.
  • As I recall, it was the first full month I participated in Stream of Consciousness Saturday. I write about my love of crossword puzzles, songs about shape, the various uses of the word “degree,” and the letter “S”‘s uses in the formation of plurals and contractions, and in tongue twisters.
  • Last October was the start of the next-to-last round I participated in A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80), so there are several check-ins from that. ROW80 is a worthy challenge where you set goals for the next three months and report weekly on your progress (or, as was usually the case with me, lack thereof).
  • As I’m reading my blogs in the morning, I save the posts I want to come back to later in Pocket. The Sunday before the start of the round of ROW80, I was stuck for something to post (that happens more frequently than you would guess) one day, so I went through my Pocket list and chose a bunch of articles I thought would be of interest to my readers.
  • A couple of other posts I threw together at the last minute included one where I listed several things I found interesting, (including missing cinnamon bun day, a neat interactive map of some interesting demographic data, the announcement of the settlement of a lawsuit against the manufacturers of Red Bull (which is partly responsible for the stroke), and a neat video of Alfonso Ribiero doing “the Carlton” on Dancing With The Stars); what I would do with an extra hour each day (I’d want it to be retroactive); a video of Virginia O’Brien, “The Ice Princess,” singing a jazzy version of “Rock-a-bye Baby”; and an image quote of a line from Good Will Hunting that I’ve used a couple of other times since.
  • Then there was the day I couldn’t get anything written for the blog because I kept second-guessing myself. I ended up getting so frustrated with my constant wordsmithing that I wrote a post about it, where I promised myself I wouldn’t do that anymore. Since then, I haven’t fallen back into the habit of doing it. Well, not too often, anyway…

I’ve added a couple of features: One-Liner Wednesday, a blog hop started by the Empress of Blog Hops, Linda Hill (who also runs Stream of Consciousness Saturday); The Friday Five, meant to take the place of The Thursday Ten when I can’t think of ten things, which has since evolved into another sharing of music, based on a theme; Monday’s Music Moves Me, a blog hop to which I was invited by X-Mas Dolly a few weeks ago; and The Week That Was, which I started during this year’s A to Z Challenge to fill in the Sundays I wasn’t writing about letters of the alphabet and I’ve continued because I need to write about something on Sundays, since I’m not participating in ROW80 for the foreseeable future.

Since July 1, 2014, the blog has evolved, from a writer’s blog (the original intent) to a blog that more clearly reflects what I’m about. Mostly music, with a good measure of TV and radio rolled in, the occasional serious topic (the exorbitant cost of higher education, people not voting in elections, etc.), and some silliness as well. In other words, this blog reflects who I am. In a few weeks, I’ll be celebrating my 1,000th post here. I couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment