Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Gorgeous Autumn The Week That Was

This week, The Week That Was is sponsored by Remington Rand, makers of the UNIVAC computer.

UNIVAC was an acronym for UNIVersal Automatic Computer. Over the years, ownership of the name has has passed from the Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation, to Remington Rand Corporation, to Sperry Corporation, to Sperry Rand Corporation, and now is owned by Unisys Corporation, which resulted from the merger of Sperry Rand with the Burroughs Corporation. They missed a golden opportunity by not naming the new corporation Sperroughs…

The Week That Was

It’s a gorgeous but cool day here in The Big Peach: not a cloud in the sky, temperatures in the upper 50’s. I didn’t sleep well last night, thanks to a cramped and sore muscle in my neck that naproxen sodium didn’t deal with. Ibuprofen did the trick, though.

This was a musical week, as most weeks are on this blog. Monday was Columbus Day in the US and Thanksgiving in Canada, so Monday’s Music Moves Me featured music by Canadian artists. Jo pointed out that I neglected to include anything by Celine Dion, a fact I attributed to not being all that familiar with music after about 1995. My apologies to Ms. Celine. A lot of you were happy I included something by k. d. lang, because she has a magnificent voice. I agree.

Two for Tuesday featured the songwriting duo of Burt Bacharach and Hal David, arguably one of the most popular songwriting teams in modern music. They’re known mostly for their work with Dionne Warwick, but they wrote a few songs for Gene Pitney, Bobbie Gentry, Neil Diamond, and Jackie DeShannon, among others. One of their songs, “(There’s) Always Something There To Remind Me,” is the basis for this round’s Battle of the Bands. If you haven’t voted yet, you have until 12:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time this Wednesday to do so. I haven’t looked that closely, but I think it’s pretty close, so vote and make your voice heard.

For One-Liner Wednesday, I used one of the better entries (in my never-so-humble opinion) on Twitter using the #GiveTwitterASlogan hashtag. Fast Company magazine gathered ten of their favorites, none of which was mine. De gustibus non est disputandum.

In a departure from my usual playlist of songs on The Thursday Ten, I identified ten things that I was writing about last October, and talked about how the blog has evolved since I started doing it every day. This was a dual-purpose post, intended as an entry into Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop.

Since I didn’t do music on Thursday, and The Friday Five is all about music, I continued my series of theme songs from TV shows. Since most of the TV theme entries have had ten themes, instead of saying this was Part 5, I called it Part 4.5. I also announced that I had built a YouTube playlist for all of the TV themes done so far. Every time I do a TV themes post, I’ll add them to the list, so you can always find them.

The prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was the word “still,” which got my stream working on songs with the word “still” in the title. I built another YouTube playlist with the songs, so it would load more quickly. Also, yesterday I added the songs that my brother Kip and my Uncle Jack suggested to the “Songs Named for Girls” playlist.

I’ve been building a lot of playlists lately, as you’ve probably noticed. All of them can be found on my YouTube playlist page. Be sure to visit and have a listen. I’ve provided a description for almost all of them, including a link back to the original post in some cases. I will probably be adding on to many of them in the future, so if there are songs you’d like to see, be sure and let me know.

That was The Week That Was for October 18, 2015.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment