Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Yogi Berra, 1925-2015 #1linerWeds

I-never-said-most-of-the

The baseball world lost one of its greatest catchers, and one of its more colorful characters, yesterday. Yogi Berra was as famous for his malapropisms as he was for his ability to field his position and hit. He had a tremendous career with the Yankees as a player, named the Most Valuable Player three times and an All-Star every season from 1948 to 1962. In almost 8400 plate appearances, he only struck out 414 times while posting a lifetime .285 batting average.

But it’s his ongoing battle with the English language that endeared him to all of us. I talked about him during my first A to Z Challenge in 2012. Here is a video entitled “The Wisdom of Yogi Berra.”

Godspeed, Yogi.


One-Liner Wednesday is a sponsored by Linda Hill, who has the rules and a list of participants over at her blog. Why not join us?




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading about him I think. Great wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago, I found a book called The Zen of Yogi Berra. When you think about it, a lot of the statements are like koans.

      Delete