Monday, August 24, 2015

Who comes up with these?

I’m not much of a fan of Facebook, but I admit that it can be a good source of material for the blog, and when I’m stuck for something to write about, I’ll go out there and see if anything might be of interest to you. Sometimes, I’m introduced to new-to-me websites. Today I learned about List Challenges, a site that curates long lists from other sites and surveys their readers to see how many people are familiar with something, have had certain experiences, read certain books, have certain albums, traveled to certain places, etc. At the end, they give you a “score” that you can post to Facebook, Twitter, or whatever your social media drug happens to be.

Today, they featured a list of the “100 Worst Songs Ever.” The challenge was to indicate which of the songs you’ve heard, and that would determine your “score.” Being kind of a music fan (i.e. I write about it a couple of times here on the blog), I said, OK, bring it on, and worked my way through it. By the time I had finished the list, I was convinced that the person who assembled it was suffering from rectal-cranial inversion or had merely gone through a list of songs recorded from 1951 on and picked them at random. Researching further, I learned that this list was written for the AOL Radio Blog almost five years ago, and it doesn’t appear that the author still writes for them. Whether that was because of this list is still a mystery.

I couldn’t disagree with some of the songs on the list. I think songs like “Feelings,” “Seasons in the Sun,” and “You’re Havin’ My Baby” are EBS Specials. But others? I really wonder what the author was thinking.

I guess it all boils down to this:

De-gustibus-non-est

But honestly, I think some people’s taste is all in their mouths.

I “scored” 31 out of 100, and as I look at the list, I missed a couple, and I’ve probably heard some of the others and never knew the names. About 10% (3) are songs where I agree with the author of the post.

If you have the inclination, take the test yourself and leave your score in the comments. Are these, indeed, the worst songs of all time? Or is the author out of his mind? I’d be interested to know what you think.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment