Saturday, August 15, 2015

#SoCS: Follow-up to Yesterday

socs-badge-2015

We have a new badge for 2015, created by Hope Floats. Wanted to point that out to everyone reading this, especially those of you who don’t generally participate in Stream of Consciousness Saturday. If that’s you, why not? It’s lots of fun and all you need is a blog and the desire to write. Linda Hill, who hosts SoCS, has all the rules over at her blog, so hop on over there and read up on it, and also find links to this week’s other participants.

This week’s prompt: the suffix “-ay”

I got to thinking after yesterday‘s Friday Five post, and maybe Thursday‘s Writer’s Workshop entry, that I was complaining… no, whining… about the choices I felt were made for me, or the things others said that I believed about my talents (or lack thereof) that kept me from following certain paths in life. It’s easy to look back forty years or more and say to yourself, “why did I ever trust those people, or agree with them when they said [fill in the blank]? I know for a fact now that they were full of crap; why couldn’t I figure that out then?”

Well, it’s not quite as simple as that. I’d go so far as to say that, had I not lived with those beliefs and conducted my life accordingly, I wouldn’t know what I know now. And it’s useless to say “if I had known then what I know now, this wouldn’t have happened.” Sure, if I had a TARDIS like Doctor Who, I could go back and change the course of my history. But I don’t, and besides, the Time Lords have rules about doing that sort of thing. The Second Doctor ran afoul of those rules and was regenerated into The Third Doctor as a result. Besides, Doctor Who is science fiction: it ain’t really true. I know that might come as a shock to some of you, but anyway…

The point is, you don’t get a second chance.

A dear friend of mine used to have a quote from Vern Law, a pitcher and pitching coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates, hanging in his office.

Experience-is-a-hard
Created at Quozio.com

Vern was on to something there.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment