Sunday, July 19, 2015

The Week That Was, Dog Days Edition

The Week That Was

Time for another review of the last week here on The Sound of One Hand Typing. Think I’ll try a different format. The bullet list is a little too status-meeting-ish.

Monday, stuck for something to write about, I participated in the Ten-Question Tag Debbie the Dog Lady talked about on her blog. She was amazed that I’ve done so much travel, and didn’t seem to mind that most of it was done for business. Really, business travel is best described by Wilfred Bramble, who played Paul’s grandfather in A Hard Day’s Night: it’s a room and a car, a car and a room, a room and a room… In my introduction to the post, I happened to refer to the challenge as a “blog thingy,” which JoAnne liked… hey, I couldn’t think of what else to call it (a blog hop, maybe?), so it was a thingy. Uncle Jack agreed that there’s no reason for creamed corn in polite society, and wanted to know the origin of “Bunz.” You can read my reply in the comments.

Two for Tuesday this week featured Donovan, the British folksinger who inspired many of the British Invasion bands, and also Al Kooper, who did a couple of his songs. Halfmoon Mollie commented that she was surprised he was one of the acts in a JazzFest she attended (Donovan’s music, while generally folk-oriented, included elements of rock, psychedelic music, and yes, jazz). She also mentioned that she told someone at the gym that it was his birthday, and the person said, “Who’s Donovan?” That happens to a lot of us who lived through the 1960’s when we talk to the “younger generation.” One of the reasons I’m doing this whole series of British Invasion artists is for the benefit of those who might not have heard the bands in a long time, or at all.

Wednesday was the 15th of the month, meaning it was time for Battle of the Bands. Following a suggestion from Uncle Jack, I pitted Frank Sinatra against Eydie Gorme, the song being Antonio Carlos Jobim’s “One-Note Samba.” Bossa nova is maybe the coolest music on the planet, and Frank’s album with Jobim no doubt introduced a lot of people to the music. Still, Eydie has opened a pretty wide lead over Ol’ Blue Eyes. I’ll announce the winner on Wednesday, so you still have a couple of days to vote.

The Thursday Ten was ten questions I’ve started asking myself at the end of each day, because I’m getting to the stage where, if I don’t write stuff down, I don’t remember it happened. Many of you have reached that stage, as well, at leat from the comments. Tammy Adams, who writes the blog Laughing at Everyday Life (a blog everyone should read) said “I always say if you are going to commit a crime do it in front of me as I can’t remember what just happened or what I just saw.” Ain’t it the truth. Most of us can probably recall some stupid song from fifty years ago, but have no idea what we had for dinner the night before. That might be by design…

Friday, I gave everyone a status of this past Wednesday’s trip to the dentist to have a tooth ground down in preparation for a crown. This is the first time a new dentist has had to crawl around in my mouth in almost 28 years, and it was just a little disconcerting. She did a fine job, and I like the new dentist, but still, it was a little disconcerting. Several of you said you had a similar experience; Nadine Feldman said that she didn’t like her dentist at first because he was very slow and methodical, but then he also fixed some poorly-done existing dental work. No one likes that. I had a root canal done when I was in high school, and ten years later my new dentist said that he hadn’t done that at all, he had just done a partial pulpotomy. Meaning I had to go through it all again. JoAnne said that, with all of our crowns, people should treat us like royalty. As I said last week, everyone should now start calling me “Your Immenseness.”

Yesterday, the prompt for Stream of Consciousness Saturday was “Fly/flies/flied/flew/flu/flue” or something like that. I shared several stories from my business travel days, including the story of getting on an airplane, falling asleep, and waking up to find myself in a hotel room. Good thing the flight crew was staying at the same hotel I had reservations at, and was able to get me there. I must have been awake enough to have checked in to the hotel, gotten to my room, gotten undressed and into bed, but for the life of me I don’t remember any of it. This freaked out a few of you: Deborah Drucker said it sounded like an episode of The Twilight Zone. I think it’s just one of those stories we save for times like this. I’ll bet that’s why many of us got into blogging, too.

Have you managed to visit the Pinterest board for this blog? I’ve had it running for a week now. Take a look and tell me what you think of it. I’m not a visual person, as a rule, and Pinterest is a visual medium, so any advice you might have would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading, and have a good week!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to another interesting week! Hope you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete