Thursday, July 16, 2015

Ten End-of-Day Questions

image

I’m writing this on Tuesday, because on Wednesday I’m going to the dentist and getting a tooth capped, or at least initiating the process, and I don’t know how I’ll feel today. I’ll start on the second cap a week from Tuesday. Fortunately, those are the only two I need capped, at least for the time being.

10981353_818098858312503_1122377029028777505_n

A while back, I realized that I was forgetting whole things about my day. Not just the small stuff, like what I had for meals or how many times I went to the bathroom, but what happened and what I was supposed to remember to do. I was also finding that sometimes there were things I was losing sleep over, things that had upset me (usually conversations on Facebook or things I saw on TV), or problems I was wrestling with.

I decided that I was going to start writing things down. Before I went to bed, I was going to write down three significant things about the day just ended. And I did it for a few days, and promptly forgot about it. Memory like a sieve, I swear…

Well, I still think it’s a good idea, so I started again this week. This time, I started asking myself these questions.

  1. What was the best thing that happened today?
  2. What was the worst thing that happened today?
  3. What did you learn today?
  4. What are you grateful for?
  5. What would you do differently?
  6. What made you happy?
  7. What made you sad, upset, or angry?
  8. What do you need to remember for tomorrow?
  9. What do you need to do tomorrow?
  10. What questions do you need to sleep on?

I’m keeping the mechanics simple: writing my answers in Mail on my phone and emailing them to a notebook in Evernote. (Apparently that’s a privilege only available to premium users, which surprises me. If you use Evernote, it’s worth the money to be a premium member, if only for that capability.)

So, that’s what I’m doing. Do you do something like this? What are the questions you ask yourself?




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I always have a paper and pen beside me because I also tend to forget. It's frustrating when you have a wonderful idea and you don't write it down and then later forget what it was. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a notebook with me 90% of the time and anything I need or want to remember goes in the notebook. I have a terrible memory. But forcing myself to do something like this everyday would just make me miserable, because I'll inevitability forget and then feel bad for skipping the day, try to remember to write it down, but nothing. Endless cycle.

    ReplyDelete