Friday, July 24, 2015

Less than a week to go…

Number-10-300x243

As the date for the release of Windows 10 draws closer, I’m getting more obsessed with it, and spending a lot more time than I should dashing around the Internet, trying to accumulate as much information as I can about what it’s going to do to my laptop.

Now, I shouldn’t worry. Until I hopped off the Windows crazy train a few years ago, having heard how bad Vista was, I upgraded my system all the time. From 3.11 to 95, to 98, to ME, to NT. And all of those upgrades went more or less smoothly. Although I remember having trouble with the upgrade to 95: When the installation completed, it gave me a message, “Please wait while we prepare your computer for Windows 95,” at which point it stopped for close to 24 hours. Knowing this couldn’t be right, I searched through the little booklet for an option to do a clean install, finally calling Microsoft support to find out what it was. The guy’s reaction was classic: “You mean, you read the documentation? No one ever does that!”

Understand, my Windows laptop is the one I take with me to Starbucks. It’s the only time I really use it. I turn it on, it works, I can go on the Internet write blog posts with it, the world is made of donuts. I’d leave it at Win7, except that Microsoft wants to get erveryone off of whatever release of Windows they’re on and up to 10 as soon as they can. That’s why they’re giving it away to anyone who wants to upgrade within the next year. And, well, I’m a geek, and that’s just the way I think. There’s a new release of the operating system? I must have it! The price is right (i.e. free), and I don’t have to go out to Office Depot Max Staples whatever to get it. They’ll send it to me. All I have to do is download and install it, and voilá! Windows 10!

The general opinion is that Windows 10 is the best thing since perforated toilet paper, that all I have to do is install it and everything will magically work. One article I read said that was their experience when they installed it on a Lenovo ThinkPad (evidently, Microsoft sent early releases (not beta, the actual thing that goes to the rest of their customer base, so they could try it out and write glowing articles about how wonderful it is and how easy it was to install and all that happy smoke the people in the geek press like to blow up people’s backsides). Is there any reason not to believe it won’t work on my Sony VAIO.

Except that Sony has told the users of VAIO computers, “uh, you might want to hold off installing Windows 10 until we get the drivers finished.” And when will that be? Oh, September, October, and those are just for Windows 8.1. Windows 7, God alone knows what they’re going to do there.

So, I have a decision to make: go ahead when Windows 10 is ready, or play it safe until Sony pulls their heads out of their rear ends and writes the new drivers that they swear I must have in order for my computer to continue to function. Understand, my computer is no longer officially supported; I got it for cheap from the Sony Store, and they haven’t updated anything in a couple of years. My response? Screw ’em if they can’t take a joke.

One thing I might do is install 10 in a separate partition. I’ve heard you can do that, and it seems fairly easily. I read a board comment by someone who claimed she did that and it worked like a charm, and even moved everything off the Win7 platform for her. Whether or not that’ll work, or if I can even do that, I’ll just have to wait and see about.

You’ll be hearing a lot from me about how well it goes over the next week or so. Stay tuned!

Do you plan on upgrading? One of you has already said they’ll wait until Microsoft works out the kinks first. Will that be what you do?




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

2 comments:

  1. I switched to a Mac 3 years ago and I haven't had to deal with Microsoft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My desktop is a Mac, and I generally prefer UNIX-like operating systems (Mac OS X is a form of BSD, a precursor of UNIX, and Linux is just UNIX ported to the desktop world). I got the laptop for under $100 from the Sony Store and it came with Windows 7. I had considered wiping the drive and installing Linux, but decided it really wasn't worth it; I do nearly everything in the browser (Firefox), anyway, and they all look the same that way. Win10 is supposed to be faster and less memory-bound, and they claim it's the last release of Windows, so we'll see... Linux is still an option...

      Delete