Wednesday, July 15, 2015

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: “Samba de Uma Nota So” (“One-Note Samba”)

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

I have my Uncle Jack to thank for this Battle of the Bands. He suggested that I do a version that featured Frank Sinatra as one of the contestants, in a “Battle of the Singers.” And I was like, yeah, that could work…

The song this time is “Samba de Uma Nota Só,” better known in this country as “One-Note Samba,” a classic bossa nova tune written by the great Antonio Carlos Jobim. So many people have recorded this song, I could do a tournament of versions of it. In fact, it’s almost impossible for me to hold it to just two contestants… but I’ll do that, because every time I feature more than two versions of a song, I get complaints.

I’m certain you’ve heard this song hundreds of times, but in case you haven’t, or aren’t sure, and definitely if you’ve never heard Jobim’s original instrumental version, here it is. As always, this recording is not one of the contestants.

Now, here’s the battle…

CONTESTANT #1: Frank Sinatra

Sinatra recorded this for his 1967 album Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim. The album did very well, reaching #4 on the Jazz album chart and #19 on the overall album chart. It was also nominated for a Grammy in 1968, but lost to Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. He was accompanied by Jobim on guitar and piano, and by a group of studio musicians led by Claus Ogerman.

CONTESTANT #2: Eydie Gormé

This was the opening track on Eydie’s 1963 album, Blame It On The Bossa Nova.

Now, time to vote…

I don’t mind telling you, I love this song, and as far as I’m concerned, these two versions are spectacular. But let’s hear from you: which of these two versions do you like better, Frank’s or Eydie’s? Leave me a comment and let me know what your choice is, and why.

And when you’re done here, visit the other battles going on today. Many, if not all, of the blogs below are doing battles, and the way things are going, there are probably a few that I haven’t listed.

Tossing It Out
Far Away Series
StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands
Your Daily Dose
Mike’s Ramblings
Curious as a Cathy
DC Relief – Battle of the Bands
This Belle Rocks
Book Lover
Alex J. Cavanaugh
Shady Dell Music & Memories
Debbie D. at The Doglady’s Den
Angels Bark
Jingle Jangle Jungle
Women: We Shall Overcome
Cherdo on the Flipside
Holli’s Hoots ‘n’ Hollers

Results announced next Wednesday!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment