Sunday, June 14, 2015

The Week That Was, June 14, 2015

The Week That Was

Happy Flag Day, everyone!

flag-l

Kind of a quiet week around here, but it was a good one. It might be time to go on tour… here’s the recap:

  • Monday, I announced the winner of the most recent Battle of the Bands, which pitted Luther Vandross against Linda Ronstadt singing Bacharach and David’s “Anyone Who Had A Heart.” Luther beat Linda, 12-8, but both did wonderful versions of the song. I don’t think there’s a bad one, really.
  • Tuesday, we had Two for Tuesday squared. I featured Billy J. Kramer, another British Invasion artist, in the scheduled two-fer, and as it was his 100th birthday, I wrote a second that featured Les Paul, who revolutionized recording as well as the guitar, and was a remarkable player himself.
  • I got on my soapbox and ranted about the Apple Watch, and expensive watches in general, on Wednesday. A comment by my uncle Jack reminded me that there are still plenty of people who wear watches to keep time, rather than rely on an electronic device. As always, he has an excellent point. I’ve gotten used to checking my phone for the time, but not everyone does. My brother Chris (we call him Kip) said that his impression of the Apple Watch was that it was a remote control for one’s iPhone. Evidently the watch pairs with the iPhone via Bluetooth as long as the two devices are in range of each other. As Lauralynn said, people fall in love with the technology. I suppose she’s right.
  • Thursday, I participated in Mama Kat’s Writers’ Workshop, and talked about sophomore year of high school, also known as tenth grade, which tied it in with The Thursday Ten. Michelle, who identified with the “nerds,” commented that she had lunch with a friend of hers who identified with the “jocks.” She asked him what he thought of high school, and he said that everyone was so busy trying to be who they thought they were that he didn’t think anyone had a good time. Mama Kat herself said that there are important things you learn in high school, but not all of those things were in the classroom. I suggested the percentage of things you learn outside the classroom was about 90%.
  • Friday, I featured a post by Stomperdad, who has an excellent blog you should visit. His post was about standardized testing and its effects on all concerned. I think sometimes we’re so busy testing kids, they don’t have time to learn anything.
  • Yesterday, of course, was Stream of Consciousness Saturday. This week’s prompt: onomatopoeia. I featured a video of fight scenes from the old “Batman” show, and talked about Ken Feit, who specialized in sound poetry.

I have a good Battle of the Bands coming up tomorrow (what am I going to say, it’s lousy?), another British Invasion artist on Tuesday, and several more posts that will be as much a surprise to me as they will be to you. Be sure and stop by!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment