Thursday, June 18, 2015

Ten “Listen” Songs

image

Last week, I took the prompt from Mama Kat and wrote about my memories of tenth grade. Okay, it wasn’t a list of ten, so we’re back to that again. This week, she had a prompt that fit the Thursday Ten theme, if you played with it enough:

Write a blog post inspired by the word: listen

Well, you know me and music… I thought of the song “Listen” by Chicago. Then I thought of a couple more “listen” songs, and pretty soon I was out on YouTube looking for songs with “listen” in the title. And I needed help, so I went to DuckDuckGo (the search engine I’ve been using instead of Google, because they don’t track me) and asked for songs with “Listen” in the title. One of the first entries I found was this blog entry from 2008 on the blog Listening Matters, which hasn’t been updated since 2010. But it was exactly what I was looking for.

Anyway, I built a YouTube playlist (the irony being that YouTube is a Google site) of ten “listen” songs, which you will find below. Here’s the song list.

  • “Listen,” by Chicago, from the album Chicago Transit Authority, their first.
  • A cover of Beyonce’s “Listen,” sung by a young lady named Connie Talbot. Her website says she was born in 2000 and competed on Britain’s Got Talent when she was just six. I think she kills it.
  • “Listen” by Atlanta’s own Collective Soul, from their 1997 album Disciplined Breakdown.
  • “Listen” by Tears for Fears, from their 1985 album Songs from the Big Chair.
  • “Listen” by Toad the Wet Sprocket, from their 1994 album Dulcinea.
  • “Listen” by Goo Goo Dolls, from 2006’s Let Love In.
  • “Listen to What the Man Said” by Paul McCartney and Wings, off their 1975 release Venus and Mars.
  • “Listen to the Music” by The Doobie Brothers, from 1972’s Toulouse Street. I think this was their first hit; I know it was the first song of their I heard.
  • “Listen to the Flower People” by Spinal Tap, from the 1984 “mockumentary” This is Spinal Tap, second only to A Hard Day’s Night as my favorite movie of all time.
  • “Do You Want To Know A Secret?” by The Beatles, from their first album, Please Please Me, which was released in the US as Introducing… The Beatles on Chicago’s Vee Jay Records. It was released later in the US by Capitol on the album The Early Beatles. And yes, I know, the title doesn’t have “listen” in it, but I included it because the first word is “Listen” and because it’s by The Beatles.

Okay, so here’s the playlist. It’s about 40 minutes long, if you want to wait on it until later.

Tune in next week for another edition of The Thursday Ten.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment