Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Coloring Books for Grownups?

crayons

Have you seen the ads lately for the Colorama Coloring Book for adults? I was watching one of the subchannels the other day, and amid the ads for diabetes products, incontinence supplies, cellphones designed for people that don’t get cellphones, and ambulance chasers eager to sue the pants off asbestos companies, pharmaceutical companies, and manufacturers of artificial joints, there was this ad, or something similar. (I couldn’t embed it, unfortunately. Well, I could, but it would create a blank post on Blogger.)

My first reaction was “Coloring books for adults? You gotta be kiddin’ me!” I honestly wondered what in the world possessed a company to create a coloring book for adults. I found this video of a foul-mouthed man who seems to think it can all be blamed on capitalism and Fox News. The more I listened to him foam at the mouth, the more I felt like picking up some crayons and a coloring book of my own.

One of my stepfather’s colleagues from his early days at Loyola University traveled all the time, visiting high schools. and at night he would sit in his hotel room and watch television. He got tired of it, so he took up embroidery. It was a creative outlet for him, it filled his time, he could carry his supplies from place to place, and it relieved his stress. And the stuff he did was beautiful. He embroidered two throw pillows for my folks as a wedding gift. The colors he chose were all colors he had seen in our living room the first time he visited, and the work was utterly flawless.

People have always had creative outlets. For me, it’s writing. Mary knits and crochets, and hangs out with some enormously talented women who knit, crochet, sew, quilt, weave, spin, and dye their own yarn. I saw some magnificent drawings that people made during the recent A to Z Challenge. I’ve met painters, photographers, sculptors, woodworkers, jewelry designers and makers, soap makers, and people who polish stones. Creative expression is a necessary part of life. It relieves stress and boredom and creates a “happy place” you can go to when life is getting hectic.

Coloring books have become best-sellers on Amazon, and companies such as Dover Publishing have whole lines of coloring books for adults. (I’m not selling anything, by the way.) A person who has no particular talent for anything else usually can color in a drawing and feel as though they’ve done something creative and artistic. Who cares if it’s something “only kids do”?

I would guess that most of you reading this are writers, so, what are your other creative hobbies? Have you ever considered taking up coloring as one of them?




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment