Monday, June 22, 2015

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: “Rhythm of the Rain” Results

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

Last Monday, my most recent Battle pitted rock legend Neil Sedaka against Australian actor and singer Jason Donovan with their versions of The Cascades’ “Rhythm of the Rain.” I figured the vote would be a pretty close one. I was wrong. This one wasn’t even close:

Neil Sedaka: 3
Jason Donovan: 14

I think the general consensus was that people didn’t like Sedaka’s version at all. They didn’t like the disco setting, nor did they like the liberties he took with the melody, and they thought he sounded like a girl. A few of you said that you thought you’d vote for him but ended up voting for Jason. At least one person termed Neil’s version “annoying.” I have to agree; this was simply not Neil’s song. Even if he had made his version close to the original, I think the vote would have been similar.

Anyway, congratulations to Jason Donovan.

The next Battle of the Bands is a week from Wednesday, on July 1. No idea what I’ll be doing for that, but tune in for the next battle then.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment