Sunday, May 3, 2015

The Week That Was – A to Z Challenge Final

So we bid adieu to the A to Z Challenge for 2015. If you joined in the fun, I bet you’re exhausted now. Me, on the other hand? I do this every day, anyway. In fact, I had finished my Challenge entries by April 3, and fairly coasted from there.

Coasted. Yeah, right. What that did was leave me time to visit the blogs under my purview to ensure that they were participating, and to see if they were having trouble keeping up. Luckily, few of them were, which gave me more time to browse the blogs of those blogging buddies who were doing the challenge, particularly those I had met on previous challenges. Which reminds me, I’ll need to add the blogs of those of you were kind enough to stop by and leave comments to Feedly, so I can stalk continue to follow you through the coming year.

A-to-Z Reflection [2015] - Lg

For those of you who were involved, don’t forget that this coming week is the traditional Blogging from A to Z Reflection, which our Fearless Leader Arlee Bird discussed in this post on the A to Z blog on Friday. Note that the Reflections post is voluntary and optional, meaning if you’re really sick of us by now, you ain’t gotta do it. But, I encourage it, because I’m sure you had some great experiences this past month, as well as a few things about what you’ve just finished that sucked. We want to know about that stuff, because we want to make this a better initiative for next year and the year after and even after that. And, like I used to tell my classes when I would distribute the evaluation forms (a/k/a the “smile sheets”), be honest. We want to address whatever issues you might have had with the challenge for next year. This is your chance to talk back to us.

Anyway…

What did we talk about this week?

On Monday, I discussed Chicago’s public television station, WTTW, “your Window to the World.” Several people mentioned that the shows from the BBC were their favorites as well, and I was pleased to hear from a couple of people who had seen them on the Beeb itself. One of the other things that was pointed out to me was that I do a lot of reminiscing about my days in Chicago. I guess I do, but given the opportunity to move back to the Windy City, I would politely but firmly decline. Anyone who has experienced a Chicago winter understands why. Besides, Mary has told me she packed and moved once, and she doesn’t want to do it again. But, when I was in school, it was a great place to grow up.

We talked about gaming systems on Tuesday, specifically the XBOX. As I mentioned in that post, I have little to no experience with gaming systems, being unable to deal with a controller that requires two hands, and having been born a little too early to have appreciated them. From the comments, I take it I’m not alone.

Wednesday, I took it easy and treated you to “Yummy Yummy Yummy,” the 1968 “bubblegum” hit by The Ohio Express. Bubblegum was a genre of music that targeted kids that we call “tweens” today, kids in junior high from 10 to 12 years old. Well, I was 12 in 1968, so I was part of its target market, but I didn’t especially enjoy it. Now that I’m older, I’m a little less fussy about what I listen to, but still, I wouldn’t want to spend an afternoon listening to it. A few people complained that the song was a total earworm, and it was now stuck in their heads. You’re welcome.

Thursday discussed the letter Z, both on its own and in combination with other Z’s. Naturally we discussed the movie Z, starring Yves Montand and Irene Papas, but also talked about the strange practice of trying to capture either the first entry in the phone book or the last by adding either a string of A’s or of Z’s to the beginning of your last name, depending on whether you wanted to come in first or last. Several people wondered why in the world you’d want to do that. I explained that it was primarily used in the classified phone book (the “Yellow Pages,” as it was called here); someone looking for an exterminator, say, would be more apt to call the first number listed. As for why someone would want to be first or last in the alphabetical (residential) directory (the “White Pages”)… remember, this was in the days before the Internet, and people had to get their entertainment somewhere. Printed telephone directories have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaurs now, although AT&T still insists on dropping them on my driveway every year, from whence we take it immediately to the recycling center. We’ve tried getting them to stop, and they told us they couldn’t. When we asked them why, they said “because we said so.” Maybe you’ve had better luck where you live. Here, they’re being stubborn.

Of course, there were other posts as well:

  • My Two for Tuesday feature continued examining artists from the British Invasion. Featured this week was Georgie Fame.
  • My first Battle of the Bands for May features the song “I Heard It Through The Grapevine.” Feel free to check it out and vote.
  • Finally, Saturday’s Stream of Consciousness entry was all about the words “compliment” and “complement.”

That’s all for this week. Maybe I’ll do this again next week, even though the Challenge is over…




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment