Sunday, May 10, 2015

The Week That Was, May 4 – 10, 2015

pink_mallow_flower_flowers

First, Happy Mother’s Day to all the mothers, stepmothers, godmothers, aunts, and women who act as mothers out there! I hope you’re having good weather wherever you are. I know Tropical Storm Ana is affecting those of you in parts of South Carolina and Georgia, so please, be safe.

I started doing a weekly summary on Sundays during the recently-concluded A to Z Challenge (if you haven’t had time to write your A to Z Reflections post, today is the last day to get it into the Linky), because I’m not participating in A Round of Words in 80 Days this time around and needed something to write on Sundays. I’ve decided to make it a regular feature here, whether or not I return to ROW80.

So, here we go…

  • I posted my A to Z Reflections post on Monday, and included a couple of “Reflections” songs. I’m sure there are more “Reflections” songs out there, and thought I’d put together a playlist on YouTube. Athan on Facebook suggested “Reflections in a Crystal Wind” from the 1965 album of the same name by Mimi and Richard Fariña; Mark, also on Facebook, suggested a couple of songs from the 1968 album Bookends by Simon and Garfunkel. Annalisa suggested “Reflections” by the band Sweet; unfortunately, when I tried to play the video, I got the message that it was blocked in the US due to copyright. So I might have to put that idea on hold. If you think of any others, let me know, and I’ll get the playlist together.
  • Two for Tuesday featured Dusty Springfield as the British Invasion theme continues. I’m enjoying this theme, because I find myself listening to songs that I had forgotten or didn’t realize who did them.
  • Wednesday I featured a John Oliver video about the explosion in standardized testing being done in the US. It’s an 18-minute video, but the gist is that kids spend more time filling in bubbles in #2 pencil than they ever did, to satisfy requirements by federal and state authorities, who are requiring them because the US is “lagging behind the rest of the world.” I agree, something needs to be done; I just don’t think this is the “something” we should be doing. Evidently, the business of preparing kids to take these tests, as well as the creation and scoring of these tests, is quite a lucrative one, and while it’s possible someone realizes the approach we’re taking is less than effective, so much money has been invested into the way things are being done now (and possibly into the politicians and administrators who approve the expenditure of taxpayer money) that things aren’t likely to change anytime soon. There was a good discussion on this; I was hoping that someone might take the position that yes, doing this amount of standardized testing is necessary and effective, but no one did.
  • Of course, after all that, I had nothing to talk about on Thursday. I should probably get back to doing The Thursday Ten, now that A to Z is over. Several commenters said that they were in a funk now that the challenge was over and were taking a break from blogging. I’m determined to keep going.
  • Friday I announced the results of my most recent Battle of the Bands, where the majority of voters preferred CCR’s version of “I heard It Through The Grapevine” to that of Gladys Knight and the Pips. A few people said they preferred the definitive version of the song by Marvin Gaye, and I’m not going to disagree that it’s a fantastic recording.
  • Finally, yesterday was Stream of Consciousness Satuday, where the prompt was “name.” And, of course, I just had to play Shirley Ellis’s “The Name Game”…

So that’s it for this week. This coming week, another lady of the British Invasion on Two for Tuesday, a new Battle of the Bands on Friday, another Stream of Consciousness on Saturday, maybe a Thursday Ten, and some other craziness. Hope to see you here!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. So busy, aren't you? But I bet that's fulfilling to do.
    Have a wonderful and hopefully relaxing week. :)

    ReplyDelete