Sunday, May 17, 2015

The Week That Was, May 17, 2015

Another good week here at The Sound of One Hand Typing!

  • Monday I posed the question, “why don’t superheroes’ companions recognize their alter egos?” For example, why hasn’t Lois Lane figured out that Clark Kent is Superman, or Steve Trevor figured out that Diana Prince is Wonder Woman? Arlee thinks it’s because TV makes us stupid, which I guess is why most of us don’t ask such hard-hitting questions. Shawn agrees with Arlee, and says when he sits down in front of the TV he’s sucked in by what’s going on. I agreed with both of them, saying that there are shows where I can feel my IQ drop as I watch them, but also posited that there are people who use the TV for background noise. (I prefer actual noise for background noise, as I discussed during the 2014 A to Z Challenge.)
    Sandi addressed another issue along the same lines, seeing that the crew and passengers on the S. S. Minnow (the ship from Gilligan’s Island) seemed to have an awful lot of luggage for a three-hour tour. Come to think of it, I’m not sure all that stuff would have fit in the cargo hold of the ship. Maybe they got out to sea and the craft submerged. By the way, I read somewhere (maybe IMDb) that naming the ship the Minnow was a slap at Newton Minow, former chairman of the FCC, who used the term “vast wasteland” to refer to TV in his speech, “Television and the Public Interest,” which he delivered to the National Association of Broadcasters on May 9, 1961.
    Sealofgoodpractice
    The NAB’s “Seal of Good Practice”
  • We featured music three times on the blog this week. Four, really. The featured artist on Two for Tuesday was Petula Clark, the First Lady of the British Invasion; Friday was the Battle of the Bands, the song being Phoebe Snow’s “Poetry Man” (voting is open until Thursday at midnight Eastern Time); and Saturday’s Stream of Consciousness was based on the word “stick,” which suggested drummers, such as Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa. On Friday, we lost blues guitar legend BB King, so I reminisced about seeing him in concert almost 40 years ago.
  • Wednesday’s and Thursday’s entries were a result of a prompt I saw on Mama Kat’s blog, about having to revisit my career. Wednesday I shared a quote that I had copied from someone’s LiveJournal about the choices we make and the consequences thereof, and on Thursday I replied to the prompt, saying I’d like to go back and refocus my life on playing the guitar and being a musician.

This week, I participate in the “Blood, Boobs, and Carnage” blogfest, hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh and Heather Gardner, we’ll have another artist (to be determined) from the British Invasion, another Stream of Consciousness entry on Saturday, and much, much more! See you soon!

Blood Boobs Carnage Blogfest



from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment