Sunday, May 24, 2015

The Week That Was for May 24, 2015

The Week That Was

Everybody seems to like this feature, which started during the A to Z Challenge and kept going because I wasn’t participating in A Round of Words in 80 Days this time around. Whether or not I choose to participate in ROW80 next time around, I think I’ll keep this going on Sundays, making Wednesday my check-in day if I do.

We had another good week here last week.

  • Monday’s entry was my entry into the “Blood, Boobs, and Carnage” Blogfest. I think I made a pretty good case for the TV show CSI: Miami as an example of all three. There were three CSI:‘s altogether (four, if you consider the latest entry, CSI: Cyber, starring Patricia Arquette, James Van Der Beek, and Peter MacNicol, which debuted at midseason), and everyone seems to have their favorite and their least favorite. All, save Cyber, have come to a close, with the original CSI: having its grand finale this September. It’ll be the end of an era.
    M. R. R. suggested that almost any 21st Century crime show would fit the theme. This reminded me of the recent Twitter meme, “If ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ were set in a trailer park, it’d be an episode of ‘Criminal Minds.'” Don’t ask why.
  • Tuesday’s featured artist was Cilla Black, considered one of the ladies of the British Invasion even though she didn’t get much airplay in this country. She and Dionne Warwick were great interpreters of the music of Burt Bacharach and Hal David, which gave me a great idea for the next Battle of the Bands. Tune in a week from tomorrow for that.
  • Wednesday, I noted the last show of David Letterman. I wasn’t particularly impressed with his show after it moved to CBS in 1993, and rarely watched it, typically only when I fell asleep during the news and woke up in the middle of it. My idea of late-night TV runs more to reruns of Perry Mason on MeTV.
  • Speaking of Perry Mason, Thursday was the 98th birthday of its star, Raymond Burr, who died in 1993 (the same year Letterman’s show started on CBS — we’re just full of coincidences here). While Mason was his most-famous role, he was also the star of Ironside, and was in a number of movies, including Love Happy with the Marx Brothers and, as Halfmoon Mollie pointed out, A Place In The Sun with Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift.
  • We announced the winner of my most recent Battle of the Bands on Friday, over who did the better version of Phoebe Snow’s “Poetry Man.” By a vote of 10-6, Canadian jazz singer Jaclyn Guillou won over Hawai’ian singer Kainani Kakaunaele. Both women did a fine job, though, and you’ll probably hear both of them on a future Two for Tuesday.
  • Saturday’s Stream of Consciousness entry was prompted by the syllable “ke.” Naturally, my entry was about Keoke coffee.

This week, of course, we’ll talk about Memorial Day, feature another British Invasion artist on Two for Tuesday, another Stream of Consciousness entry on Saturday, and a few surprises (meaning I haven’t figured out what I’m going to write about). See you then!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment