Saturday, May 23, 2015

STREAM OF CONSCIOUSNESS SATURDAY: Keoke Coffee!

I saw the prompt for today (ke at the beginning, middle, and/or end of a word), and somehow Keoke Coffee came to mind. It’s like Irish coffee, but instead of Irish whisky, you add Kahlua, creme de menthe and brandy. The recipe calls for 4 tablespoons each of the boozes, 3 cups of black coffee, and whipped cream.

I stopped drinking alcoholic beverages years ago when they told me I had enough blood pressure for two people. I was doing enough of it that it was probably a problem, and I was surprised how easy it was to give it up. When you consider that the prescriptions I take don’t mix well with alcohol, you can understand why. To replace the booze in my diet, I started drinking coffee, soda, and energy drinks, all of which conspired to give me a stroke.

Now, I drink decaffeinated coffee (at Starbucks, since they don’t make decaf after the morning rush for some bizarre reason, I drink decaffeinated Cafe Americano) and water. I used to drink diet soda, but the aspartame had a bad effect on my sleep patterns (i.e. I was going to the bathroom all night), and it probably wasn’t doing my kidneys any favors, either, so I gave it up. A very interesting thing happened when I stopped drinking soda: my blood pressure went down even further. I’m not sure if it was stopping soda or replacing it with water that did the trick, but I think it was both.

Occasionally (i.e. every occasion I can), I get a Birthday Cake shake from Zaxby’s, a Jamocha shake from Arby’s, or a Frappuccino from Starbucks (my current fave is the White Chocolate Mocha, no caffeine please). I usually get the latter when Starbucks awards me a freebie (we’ve been gold card members since 2004).

Do I miss the drinking? Not much. Sometimes I crave a Jack Daniel’s and water or a beer, but we don’t keep any of that in the house. Just as well. Just like sometimes I want a cigarette, even though I quit about 25 years ago. I dream sometimes of sitting at a sidewalk cafe in Paris, drinking espresso and smoking Gaulioses, or drinking absinthe and smoking at the Moulin Rouge, mostly because I’ve never been to Paris and never had absinthe. I have had Gaulioses, though: very, very strong and rough on the throat. At least they were in the 1970’s.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need more decaf…

socs-badge

If you haven’t guessed by now, this is another Stream of Consciousness Saturday post. Linda Hill started this a while back, and she has all the rules and whatever.




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment