Friday, May 22, 2015

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: “Poetry Man” Results

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

I threw you a curve last week and chose two singers I had never heard of, Canadian Jaclyn Guillou and Hawai’ian Kainani Kahaunaele, as the competitors in a battle over who did a better job of Phoebe Snow’s “Poetry Man.” I enjoyed both performances myself, which is why I held this battle, and both women have good voices that I look forward to hearing much more of in the coming years.

The main critique of Ms. Guillou was that her jazz version of the song lost the melody, which I can see. It’s not unusual for a jazz combo to reharmonize a melody, and at times the melody can get buried under the arrangement. Ms. Kahaunaele, meanwhile, was both praised and critiqued for her performance; as hers featured just her voice and her guitar player in what almost seemed to be an informal jam on the tune, it put her voice up front, and some folks liked it and others didn’t. Again, I can see that. The voting went back and forth between them, and in the end, Ms. Guillou came out on top.

Jaclyn Guillou: 10
Kainani Kahaunaele: 6

Congratulations to Jaclyn Guillou, and kudos to Kainani Kahaunaele for a strong performance herself.

Be with us again on Monday, June 1, when we play this game again, in what looks like a Bacharach-David battle. See you then!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to the winner. Gotta check 'em out. :)

    ReplyDelete