Monday, May 4, 2015

A Look Back: #AtoZChallenge Reflections

A-to-Z Reflection [2015] - Lg

I could think of only two songs about “reflections,” and both are pretty melancholy. But, it wouldn’t be my blog if I didn’t include them.

There’s a third on YouTube by a band called MisterWives, but the video was annoying and crashed my Mac when I played it (that’s the first time my Mac has crashed, by the way). If you can think of any other “reflections” songs, leave them in the comments, and I might put a playlist together.

The 2015 Blogging from A to Z April Challenge is history. It was the fourth challenge I participated in, and the sixth overall. I love this challenge so much that I begged to be a cohost this year, and Arlee, who is the guiding light of the challenge, agreed, for which I thank him. I also thank my fellow cohosts and my minions (Dixie, Susan, Rhondi, Ina, and Bay Girl) for their assistance with all the administrivia and details of being a cohost and a participant.

I came away from the challenge with a whole bundle of new blogging buddies and at least 30 new subscribers to the blog. I don’t use WordPress’s follow mechanism, because more than half of the blogs I follow are Blogger blogs; instead, I use one of the best feed readers around, Feedly. I’ve added everyone who left a comment, “liked” a post, or subscribed to the blog to the list of feeds I follow, so we can stay in touch all year and I can nag contact you about doing A to Z again next year.

This was the first year I managed to complete all of the articles by the end of the first week of the challenge. If I have one piece of advice for anyone doing this, do the entries early. That gives you more time to run around and visit everyone, or as many as you can manage to do. As a cohost, in addition to all the blogs I follow anyway, I was responsible for monitoring a couple of sections of the Linky list. I farmed the responsibility for that out to my minions, but still visited them myself about once a week.

I had fun again this year, mostly because I had a fun theme, “words that started and ended with the same letter.” I had intended on choosing words that ended with the letter of the day rather than beginning with it, but as I got into it I found I had a lot of words that started and ended with the same letter, and ran with it. I hope you enjoyed reading the articles as much as I did writing them.

This was the year that I decided to simulcast my WordPress blog onto Blogger, and I’m happy to say that I got some traffic on that blog as well. The Blogger blog was on the list (#434).

So, what’s next?

  • Go back over my entries on both blogs and reply to any comments that I didn’t reply to.
  • Do the Post A-to-Z Road Trip and visit as many blogs as I can. (The link takes you to last year’s page.)
  • Come up with a theme for next year.

Thanks to everyone for making this a great April, and I’ll see you next year, and probably sooner!




from The Sound of One Hand Typing

No comments:

Post a Comment