Tuesday, April 14, 2015

LiveJournal (#atozchallenge)

I had a hell of a time coming up with a topic for the letter “L.” I had originally written a post about Lysol, but didn’t like it, nor did I like the one I used to replace it. Then, this morning, I received an email from an old friend: LiveJournal.


20130429130855!Livejournal-logo

LiveJournal was my introduction to blogging. I was really active when I started in 2002, but as time has moved on, I have less and less to do with it. It was mostly Facebook that killed it, because they’re very similar in the types of things each does, and as people became more active on Facebook, they left LiveJournal behind. But at a time when there wasn’t much social media, it filled a need and filled it well.


WordPress allows me to crosspost my entries to Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Tumblr, although I no longer post to Tumblr. I also crosspost entries here to The Sound of One Hand Typing FM, a simulcast blog on Blogger, using IFTTT. There doesn’t seem to be a way to do the same with LiveJournal, though…


If any of you have a LiveJournal account, look me up! I go by the name john_holton over there. I’m friends-only there, because I’m avoiding some people, but send me a request.








from The Sound of One Hand Typing

4 comments:

  1. Wordpress and blogger swallowed many of the early blog host.
    Hope you are enjoying the A to Z challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Blogger was a separate entity before Google bought them, now that you mention it. There was also Typepad, that I see from time to time, but there aren't many people using it. Maybe they'll get bought out eventually.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Live Journal, but then I miss out on a lot.

    Now I'm curious if there is an interesting story about Lysol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not especially, although people used it as a method of suicide, and it was promoted as a method of birth control for a few years...

      Delete