Sunday, February 15, 2015

BATTLE OF THE BANDS: “Yummy, Yummy, Yummy”

BATTLE OF THE BANDS! (BOTB Top Photo)

I think it’s only appropriate that I apologize in advance for the earworms that no doubt will ensue after this battle.


Ah, bubblegum music. Gad, what an abomination. I thought that way when I was in grammar school and high school, but like many things that seemed gross when I was growing up, I have developed a perverse certain affection for it now. This was music aimed directly at people like me, kids in their “tweens” and early teens. Wikipedia tells us that the heyday of bubblegum was 1967 and 1972; I was 11 in 1967 and 16 in 1972. I was their target market.


One of the more successful bubblegum bands was The Ohio Express, not to be confused with The Ohio Players. Like so many bubblegum bands, OE was more a brand name; session musicians were the actual band. They had a couple of very popular records worldwide, the first of which was “Yummy, Yummy, Yummy,” which peaked at #4 in the US, #5 in the UK, #7 in Australia, and #1 in Canada, and earned a gold record a couple of months after the song debuted. A composite survey of the two Top 40 stations in Chicago, WLS and WCFL, puts it at #17 during the summer of 1968. Here’s their version, for reference purposes only; they aren’t combatants.



Now, on to the battle!


CONTESTANT #1: JULIE LONDON


Julie London, did a slow, bluesy version of the song that appeared on the 1997 album Ultra-Lounge: Rock ‘n’ Roll Hits On The Rocks. My guess it was done in the late 1960’s or early 1970’s, but it could have been later.



CONTESTANT #2: BACCARA


I never heard of them before this evening, so I’ll just paste in the description from the video: “Baccara was a female vocal duo formed in 1977 by Spanish artists Mayte Mateos (February 7, 1951, Logroño) and María Mendiola (April 4, 1952, Madrid). The pair rapidly achieved international success with their debut single Yes Sir, I Can Boogie, which reached number one across much of Europe.” Given the disco beat and sound, this probably came out early in their career.



Now, it’s time to vote: Whose cuisine version of “Yummy, Yummy, Yummy” reigns supreme? Julie London’s, or Baccara’s? Vote in the comments here or on the simulcast blog. Then when you finish doing that, how about visiting some of the other blogs doing Battles today as well?


Tossing It Out

Far Away Series

StMcC Presents Battle of the Bands

Your Daily Dose

Mike’s Ramblings

Curious as a Cathy

DC Relief – Battle of the Bands

This Belle Rocks

Book Lover

Alex J. Cavanaugh (might not be doing a battle today)


Results next Sunday!








from WordPress https://thesoundofonehandtyping.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/battle-of-the-bands-yummy-yummy-yummy/

via IFTTT

1 comment:

  1. London's version is too slow to suit my taste. Your second choice is closer to the original so this is the reason I'm voting for Baccara! Are switching blog platforms?

    ReplyDelete